Fragrance oils harmful?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyouRAnyway

Reaction score
I am new to candle making.
I decided to go with soy after reading a bunch of stuff about how harmful paraffin is to breathe.

However, I am not a fan of the way essential oils smell and enjoy the sweet candy smells synthetic fragrance oils bring. However, I can't find a list of ingredients that brambleberry or candle science uses in their fragrance oils.

Are these nontoxic? Are they harmful?

You won't find a list of ingredients for fragrance - they are proprietary. There's been number news releases about the harms of breathing fragrance; you'll have to research and decide for yourself. I know very little about it. Maybe someone here will have some good resource material for you to read...?

Soy is not necessarily safe compared to paraffin due to the processing it takes to extract components to make into "wax". Some say it's just as harmful or even more.

I don't know how palm wax compares. I've never tried paraffin, and mostly gave up on candles, but at Christmas time the fever hits and I try again, then shove the unused wax back into the closet. Soaping is so much easier for me.

If you buy fragrance oils from the EU they have to provide an SDS which must list all the allergens, for those of us that make and sell into the EU you use this info to create a CLP label detailing the allergens etc.

You can expect all FO to contain at least some of the same allergens as EO such as Citral, , Limonene, Linalool etc and there has been some suggestion that these allergens may be toxic in large doses. However, as far as I am aware the exposure that most of us have in our day to day life would not exceed the toxic level but I am aware that we are all exposed to all of these allergens through cleaning products as well as other 'fragranced' products so the suggestion has been that the cumulative level could be dangerous.

I agree with Lenarenee that soy doesnt necessarily have the green credentials with which it has been marketed and most of the larger candle manufacturers do still use paraffin or a soy/paraffin blend.

Paraffin is no more harmful to burn than soy, or palm, or cotton waxes. They ALL emit carbons into the air. Anything that burns does. A furnace running in your home can be just as harmful as burning a candle can be.
I've been making candles on a full time basis for 20 years now, and when making them I do wear a respirator, however, I have burned a candle or candles every single day give or take a few here and there for the entire 20 year period in my home. Nobody who lives in my house has had ill or adverse affects because of it. None.

Now with all that being said, if you have health issues to begin with, then I would say, no don't burn candles because that absolutely can aggravate those issues and make them worse. As for causing the issues, I would have to have reliable UNBIASED proof in order to believe that - and in the 20 years, I have not yet found that to be the case, and almost every article I've read about the ills of this or that when it comes to burning candles in the home has an agenda from someone. If it's the ills of paraffin, it's because it was most likely written by soy marketers, if it's ills about soy, paraffin marketers, if it's ills about palm - let's just not go there at all. But trust me, there is ALWAYS an agenda.

As long as the candle is made correctly in the first place, IMO there is no more danger from it than turning on your furnace or AC - no matter the wax, no matter the scenting agent.

The only ill effect I ever had from a candle was when I (accidentally) set myself on fire at the inexperienced age of 10. You can believe I have a healthy caution for candles and any fire since that time. I still use candles, but can assure you I don't carry a candlestick with flame close to my nightgown when walking through the house since that horrendous experience.

The only ill effect I ever had from a candle was when I (accidentally) set myself on fire at the inexperienced age of 10. You can believe I have a healthy caution for candles and any fire since that time. I still use candles, but can assure you I don't carry a candlestick with flame close to my nightgown when walking through the house since that horrendous experience.

Oh my!! I don't blame you.

You can't do anything anymore. Burn candles, drink alcohol, eat sugar, let alone chocolate and the list goes on.

Everything in moderation maybe?

Well, I am out. Guess will not live long because I love all the things above! Except for drinking.

:headbanging:

Meh. "Moderation is for monks." -Lazarus Long

As long as I'm like these monks, Moderation is good.

FFTactics Monks.png

female_monk___final_fantasy_tactics_collab_by_cecihoney-d9e3bg2.png

Latest posts

Back