Fragrance Factory Article

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that was an interesting journey into the construction of fragrance! Thanks for sharing snappyllama. Gives me a bit more appreciation of those in the perfumery business! 8)

Patchouli (popular for mean's fragrances)? Well, yeah, I like it a lot as a woman, but I've heard it described in worse ways by folks before... My sister cannot stand the smell, but then she likes migraine-inducing florals, so no one is perfect. :)

Nevermind, I missed the guava in this line.

patchouli (“popular for men’s fragrances”), guava (which smells like stale cat pee or

I thought they were calling my patch cat pee. haha.

Nevermind, I missed the guava in this line.

patchouli (“popular for men’s fragrances”), guava (which smells like stale cat pee or

I thought they were calling my patch cat pee. haha.

Hehe. At least they didn't describe the way ginko trees smell. :Kitten Love: Of course, I cannot imagine anyone wanting to replicate that scent for any reason.

To me it seems a little funny, but I don't blame them. It seems like a really fun chemical endeavor and it's been fruitful. A lot of fragrances are pushing for ties to natural things to recreate that emotion. But it is fairly distant to me, these things don't tie me to nature they separate me from it. I have only used essential oils because those smell very real to me, something from this earth. The FO's that are created smell like an attempt to recreate something similar but it's almost digital -- a very fake picture. The same thing goes with artificial flavors. I don't even know why the fake strawberry or banana tastes reminds me of those fruits. They taste nothing like it, but I do think of them -- it may be only because of the shape or label. So much work on recreating what we already have. I can understand reasons why, essential oils can be expensive and limited and some are even toxic. Plus you can invent new smells, unrelated to the common.

This is all just my own take on it, and I know other opinions are just as valid. Please love and enjoy what you do love and enjoy and don't take this as an attack on synthetics.

Last edited:
Back