Extreme Arachnophobia

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No thank you, I am the worst on earth when it comes to spiders. Love lizards, do not dislike snakes, like rats, most bugs do not bother me, oh but Spiders are my nemesis. I have nightmares if I see one on tv and go figure I live in a house in the hills with lots of various spiders. Mom calls my house a tree house because it is so open and at tree level. Oh how I hate those beasties. Although the big black tarantulas do not bother me to much since they look more like some type of animal/rodent than spider

Kill it. Kill it with fire. Why did I click on that? Why? <shudder>

They didn't use to bother me in slightest. I could even pick up wolf spiders. Then my newborn daughter woke me one night screaming. It took me a few minutes to figure out why she was grabbing her wrist... A nest of grass spiders had hatched under her crib. There were tiny spiders crawling all over her long-sleeved pajamas and biting her. Thankfully, she wasn't seriously hurt or allergic. A baking soda rinse and some calamine lotion brought down the tiny red bumps. Actually, she calmed down much faster than I did. I was a new-mom-with-hormones-crying-wreck-hysterically-calling-my-mom-in-the-middle-of-the-night.

Since then, I have a pretty nasty phobia. Any spider anywhere near my house dies.

Let this be a warning to any spiders casually reading the soap making forum... :evil:

Last edited:
Kill it. Kill it with fire. Why did I click on that? Why? <shudder>

They didn't use to bother me in slightest. I could even pick up wolf spiders. Then my newborn daughter woke me one night screaming. It took me a few minutes to figure out why she was grabbing her wrist... A nest of grass spiders had hatched under her crib. There were tiny spiders crawling all over her long-sleeved pajamas and biting her. Thankfully, she wasn't seriously hurt or allergic. A baking soda rinse and some calamine lotion brought down the tiny red bumps. Actually, she calmed down much faster than I did. I was a new-mom-with-hormones-crying-wreck-hysterically-calling-my-mom-in-the-middle-of-the-night.

Since then, I have a pretty nasty phobia. Any spider anywhere near my house dies.

Let this be a warning to any spiders casually reading the soap making forum... :evil:

Oh my gosh poor baby!! I'm glad she was alright

I was about to say I almost like spiders! I live near a park so I am used to them and I like they eat everything else, they are a big help in that. But then the link worked and I saw... Wow....

I wouldn't want to have one near me but it was interesting to read and see the pics. Oddly, I was reading a book the other day which mentioned another large spider - the huntsman spider.

Moody Glenn - the first picture in the article will really get you in the mood for Halloween. It also might possibly result in an involuntary physical reaction and you developing a new phobia called latrinaphobia.

http://rateeveryanimal.com/tag/giant-huntsman-spider/

I used to be terrified of spiders.

Heart stopping. Breath caught in my lungs. Blood pumping-scared-of-spiders.

Then I moved to the Country and had spiders all over my house.
Then I found WHITE spiders. And that made me not so scared of the black ones because - hey! I can see those!

But in the country - we had these daddy-long-leg looking dudes, I mean like - LOTS. When we moved into our house, there was one in every corner of every room. Not joking. When I asked around, everyone had them.

I had rules though.

My rule was that I would allow 1 daddy-long-leg-looking-spider to live in the bathroom, in the top corner. ONE. I killed all the rest but left one where I could see him and keep an eye on him. He caught all the random flying insects that got into the house - so I was okay with keeping him around. It made me less freaked out to know that he was hanging out in his perch eating insects, where I could see him.

Rule number two: If you come down the wall to the height at which I can kill you - I will. You stay in your corner and you can live here as long as you like. You can even switch corners when I'm not around, but you must live in the high corners of the wall/ceiling where I won't disturb you and you won't disturb me - and you may eat all the insects you want.

He lived there all summer. The one day....he came down the wall.

The cat got him. And that was that.

Consuela, I'm with you. I lived in NC for 7 years and one morning I found a black widow spider living in my gardening shed- BIG spider. We had a chat and I told it as long as it stayed outside, I would leave it be. About 6 weeks later it came in the house..... and got eaten by the vacuum cleaner.

We had a chat and I told it as long as it stayed outside, I would leave it be. About 6 weeks later it came in the house..... and got eaten by the vacuum cleaner.

Maybe they only have 6 week long-term-memory spans.... I swear, they hear you when you talk to them. They know what you're saying. And for a while we can co-exist peacefully. Then all of a sudden, one day, it's like they forgot the heart to heart.

as long as they are not size of pony, I am ok, I hate and dead afraid of snakes and rats. I love frogs even toads, and any other animals.

I wouldn't want to have one near me but it was interesting to read and see the pics. Oddly, I was reading a book the other day which mentioned another large spider - the huntsman spider.

Moody Glenn - the first picture in the article will really get you in the mood for Halloween. It also might possibly result in an involuntary physical reaction and you developing a new phobia called latrinaphobia.

http://rateeveryanimal.com/tag/giant-huntsman-spider/

Oh Hazel...Hazel...Hazel...what are we to do with you? OMG. Yes, latrinaphobia. :shock: I usually associate that type of phobia when desperately needing to use some of Ohio's state park facilities. You don't want to look - just 'go'. :lolno: In fact, I have seen some big wolf spiders in a few of them but not actually on the seat. Actually, I don't have a full blown case of fear toward spiders. I am fascinated with them but "not up close and personal." I have actually rescued some (small ones) that have gotten in the house. Surprisingly, I happen to admire the jumping spiders. They have this inquisitive look to their face with those two biggest eyes. Something between sinister and a puppy's let's-go-play look.

Thanks for getting me in the right mood for Halloween! :lol:

Thanks for getting me in the right mood for Halloween!

Aw shucks, you're welcome. You know me. Always happy to help people (snicker). :twisted:

I used to be afraid of spiders, then gradually realized they're beneficial because of eating insects. Now I tell everyone "spiders are our friends". However, I'm like Consuela - come too close and you're dead. Hmm...I just thought of it but this might explain why my friends don't stop by very often.

@ Consuela -

That's a wonderful story and well-written, too. You should have a blog. :grin:

Nothing that big, with that many legs, and the ability to cause me to physically hurt myself without even touching me.... deserves to live.

I live in the country, and have all my life..but Jani + spider....nope, somebody gonna die and it ain't gonna be me.

Had to ETA: The small black fly spiders..or maybe what Glenn calls jumping spiders..those I'll let live..they are actually cute as far as spiders go..and they don't bite or sneak up on you...everything else tho..they die

Last edited:
Rule number two: If you come down the wall to the height at which I can kill you - I will. You stay in your corner and you can live here as long as you like. You can even switch corners when I'm not around, but you must live in the high corners of the wall/ceiling where I won't disturb you and you won't disturb me - and you may eat all the insects you want.

He lived there all summer. The one day....he came down the wall.

The cat got him. And that was that.

LOL!! I almost spit my Dr. Pepper out on that one! Too funny! :lol:

I'm not particularly scared of them unless they are poisonous and they cross the line, come into the house that is. But we have a catch and release policy, at least I do. Husband and kids are scary cats, they leave them to me to deal with. Few years ago we had giant huntsman stuck in the bathroom. They are really big and fast but I managed to catch im in the bucket and release in the backyard. They look scary but they are necessary to ecosystem. They eat roaches and other nasties so I don't mind hanging them around. Our backyard is scattered with red backs, but unless you put your hand were it's not supposed to be they just go about their business.

Tuesday night I had just received a lovely FO sample and as I'm testing it I see something large and black in the bottle... It's a HUGE dead spider! I screamed so loud my husband thought I had spilled lye on myself. It was truly massive and I'm terrified of spiders, as is my husband.

We have these electric tennis racket things called the Executioner made for killing bugs. We killed a spider last night with it...sparks literally fly off the little guys.

I love all animals, but spiders give me nightmares and if they enter my house they die.

Back