question about melt and pour soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkflash54

Reaction score
so im new to the whole soap making thing. I love making candles and i thought soap could be fun too...so i bought a gycerin melt and pour base to try it out. i made some this morning and i have popped the soap out of the molds...so my question is, does melt and pour soap need to cure? i have read that cold process soap has to cure for several weeks but im unsure about the melt and pour stuff. thanks

HI and welcome to the addiction! No mp is already cooked and does not need to cure at all. It is ready to go when you are!

Yep, it is ready to go. Some will argue if you let it set out in the air for a couple days before you wrap it, it'll be firmer & last longer.

Tabitha said:
Yep, it is ready to go. Some will argue if you let it set out in the air for a couple days before you wrap it, it'll be firmer & last longer.
Really? Didn't know that either, Tab!
I'm always wrapping mine immediately as I'm afraid of losing the intensity of the scents.. Hmm...

To the OP: Welcome aboard and have fun with your new hobby in addition to your candle making! :wink:

You won't lose the scent by letting it sit out a few days. 90% of the scent is buried in the bar.

I always leave mine out for 3-7 days, sometimes longer if I don't get around to it. I think it does make it "better", and I've never had any issues.

Try it both ways, see how it works for you :)

When I do M&P I unmold and set the bars on cooling racks and let dry for a couple of hours to firm up more then I store them in zip lock bags seperated by scents. I leave them there till I have time to wrap them. I haven't noticed any real loss of scent. I do the same thing when I rebatch cp soap. it works out ok for me. Ginger
http://gingerbellsgifts.etsy.com
http://gingerbellsgifts.blogspot.com/

When I do MP I let them sit out for about 6 hours after I unmold (In Vegas it's really dry so they seem to firm up way faster than they did when I lived in Iowa) I'm huge on having my FO stick in the bar so after I let them dry a bit, I put them in a plastic container, (I think they call them shoe storage boxes??) They are the rubbermiad ones that are like $.97... Anyway I take a cotton ball and and put some FO on it and I tape it to the inside top of the box and thats how I store it. When I wrap my MP I have a problem with it 'shrinking' and making my wrap wrinkly, so I wrap it right before I sell it.

Back