Goat milk soap help please!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djquesadilla

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm an old forum member returning after a long hiatus. I'm looking for some help with a custom goat milk recipe. I've found plenty of goat milk recipes online but I'd like to use goat's milk in a custom recipe.

My question is: when calculating your lye, how do you factor in the fat that's in the milk?

Hi everyone, I'm an old forum member returning after a long hiatus. I'm looking for some help with a custom goat milk recipe. I've found plenty of goat milk recipes online but I'd like to use goat's milk in a custom recipe.

My question is: when calculating your lye, how do you factor in the fat that's in the milk?

As a returning member can you give me your old name as you are not allowed to have 2 accounts and we can merge the two.

Thanks.

I use goats milk too and just mix up the milk very well to incorporate it evenly and use same amount as water. Lazy, but it works!

I am pretty new to soap making but because I have goats, I use goats milk. I use it frozen and never though about considering the butter fat before I saw this posting. It works fine that way. I understand from recipes that the milk should be frozen or it will burn from the lye and get orange. I use ice cube trays to freeze mine. My lye mixture is very cool and my soap turned out a nice color. Creamy.

I use a standard 5% superfat and don't factor in any extra fat from the milk. This has worked well for me.

I use fresh goat milk measured into baggies and frozen. Whatever liquid the formula calls for is replaced with the goat milk. Never gave fat content a thought and never had a problem. Making sure the milk stays very cold is absolutely critical. I mix milk/lye solution when oils are about 90 degrees give or take. Traces quickly without problems and soap turns out great. Love goat milk soap and goats too.

I do the same, replace water by goats milk, it make for a great soap. But as mentioned, make sure your mixture of lye and milk doesn't get to hot or it will burn (I done it once and had to throw it away). Keep stirring the lye until fully dissolved and strain before addition to the oils.

I am quite new to soapmaking so please take that into consideration :)

I bought powdered goat's milk from a soap supplier, because it was difficult to find the real thing in our city and I liked the idea of a long-lasting product. As I understand it, powdered milk has pretty much no fat left (I've always been told that when you reconstitute powdered cow's milk you end up with skim milk), but that may not be correct -- if powdered heavy cream exists, maybe you can dehydrate fats? Definitely not something I have much experience with.

I have made soap with goat's milk two ways - by reconstituting powdered milk, freezing it into cubes, and adding the lye slowly and also by just adding a small amount of powder to the batter at trace. Both came out lovely, the second way is obviously WAY easier.

I used a SF of 5% in those soaps, and whether or not powdered goat's milk has fat left never even occurred to me so I never thought to factor it into the recipe. The soaps are creamy and yummy, so I guess (at least with powdered), it's not much of an issue.

Latest posts

Back