Flaky loaves

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftygirl01

Reaction score
Any ideas why my M&P loaves are flaky after unmoldimg them? Been doing loaves for about 2 months with the same supplies and the same way and then yesterday when I unmolded them the sides were flaky. Thanks

20171227_091548.jpg

The big ones. The are mostly at the bottom

It looks like some of the soap is just sticking to the mold. I don’t know how to prevent it. One thing you can do to make it look better after you cut is to wet your finger and rub it along the edge. This will smooth out the roughness and no one will be able to tell that it ever looked flaky.

Not sure either, but I mainly use silicone molds. If you are using plastic or paper type molds, like milk cartons, put some oil non stick spray that is use for cooking on a paper tower, and then pass it around the mold for easier unmolding.

It will not hurt your soap, and pehaps prevent the flaking if it was caused by the mold.

Not sure either, but I mainly use silicone molds. If you are using plastic or paper type molds, like milk cartons, put some oil non stick spray that is use for cooking on a paper tower, and then pass it around the mold for easier unmolding.

It will not hurt your soap, and pehaps prevent the flaking if it was caused by the mold.
I have better luck with my 2 lb plastic loaf mold then I do with my silicone 2 lb mold here lately. I'll try it again soon and see if it helps any.

I have better luck with my 2 lb plastic loaf mold then I do with my silicone 2 lb mold here lately. I'll try it again soon and see if it helps any.

For MP or CP?

because if it is CP, maybe you are unmolding to soon? Silicone molds never stick for me!

Latest posts

Back