Aloe Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alanatt

Reaction score
Guys I tried the aloe recipe from the net and so far it's not doing too well can anyone tell me why?
CO 3.75
OO pomace 3.25
Castor 0.62
Water 2.9
Lye 1.15
Aloe 2.5
Honey 0.5
All ounces. Pic to follow

These are the pics. It looks like they are sweating

When I first did it I was so excited because it looked normal and then this happened. Oil is also settling on the loaf too but this was a different recipe and I think I didn't use enough lye? Not sure here's the pic

IMG_20171223_154542.jpg

IMG_20171223_154538.jpg

IMG_20171223_154515.jpg

IMG_20171223_154616.jpg

IMG_20171223_154605.jpg

Can you let us know your method and where you got the recipe from? What temp did you soap at? How fresh are your ingredients?

To me, it looks like the oils might absorb and this is just a stage of the process. That will depend on your particular climate and resumes of ingredients. If your lye was a bit on the iffy side then this soap may not turn out. Without putting your recipe through soapcalc (did you double check yourself just in case?) it looks like there is a ton of water. Most people substitute the Aloe in place of water, that is probably contributing as well as the excess sugars from the honey and aloe.

I have not used either ingredient yet, hopefully someone more experienced can chime in soon (especially if I’m wrong.)

Did you grind up fresh aloe? Even fresh aloe is considered part of your liquid so you used almost double the amount of liquid. This with your honey can certainly cause overheating and possible separation. I would suggest leaving it in the mold and see if everything re-absorbs and becomes solid enough to remove from the mold, which could take a several days to weeks. The higher your liquid amount the hotter gel soap will go into and honey also causes over heating. If your soap solidifies it should be okay with a very long cure time. Purees are also considered part of your water amount so you deduct the amount of puree from your water.

Can you let us know your method and where you got the recipe from? What temp did you soap at? How fresh are your ingredients?

To me, it looks like the oils might absorb and this is just a stage of the process. That will depend on your particular climate and resumes of ingredients. If your lye was a bit on the iffy side then this soap may not turn out. Without putting your recipe through soapcalc (did you double check yourself just in case?) it looks like there is a ton of water. Most people substitute the Aloe in place of water, that is probably contributing as well as the excess sugars from the honey and aloe.

I have not used either ingredient yet, hopefully someone more experienced can chime in soon (especially if I’m wrong.)

I'm hoping the oils do absorb. The 1st pics with the sweating looks fine this morning and I realise that some of the marks is from spritzing with alcohol. The recipe I got online i cant remember the site but i did run it through the lye calc and got the same thing but i got info from another group and they said i should do a water discount in the future or just leave it over a week for all the liquid to absorb.
In my country room temp is 32 degrees Celsius so that's what the oils were at and the lye was about the same. The Aloe was freshly ground and strained. I used cold process

Did you grind up fresh aloe? Even fresh aloe is considered part of your liquid so you used almost double the amount of liquid. This with your honey can certainly cause overheating and possible separation. I would suggest leaving it in the mold and see if everything re-absorbs and becomes solid enough to remove from the mold, which could take a several days to weeks. The higher your liquid amount the hotter gel soap will go into and honey also causes over heating. If your soap solidifies it should be okay with a very long cure time. Purees are also considered part of your water amount so you deduct the amount of puree from your water.

Yes i did grind fresh aloe. thanks for the advice

I'm hoping the oils do absorb. The 1st pics with the sweating looks fine this morning and I realise that some of the marks is from spritzing with alcohol. The recipe I got online i cant remember the site but i did run it through the lye calc and got the same thing but i got info from another group and they said i should do a water discount in the future or just leave it over a week for all the liquid to absorb.
In my country room temp is 32 degrees Celsius so that's what the oils were at and the lye was about the same. The Aloe was freshly ground and strained. I used cold process

Yes i did grind fresh aloe. thanks for the advice
Did you strain the aloe pure... I like to run it through a coffee strainer or a cloth. So that it's all easy to mix. I tried without filtering... It was a little difficult to mix it in the batter..
I guess ur bars faces the same issue.. N the aloe gel didn't mix well. As others rightly said wait for a little longer n see how it goes.

I do not strain my fresh pureed aloe gel from my aloe fillets. I want the aloe specks to show since it is a good selling point. You can show customers the aloe. I put mine in a bullet and puree it then pour in a jar or jug and let the foam settle. You want as little to none of the green aloe outside, just the clean fillet aloe fillets

If you are Confident that the puree was smooth enough to mix n emulsify. There is nothing to worry.. If u really want the specks .I suggest you filter the puree. Mix it let it emulsify to thin trace n then add the remaining to make sure it's all well mixes up. And u also get the good visual view for the customers

If you are Confident that the puree was smooth enough to mix n emulsify. There is nothing to worry.. If u really want the specks .I suggest you filter the puree. Mix it let it emulsify to thin trace n then add the remaining to make sure it's all well mixes up. And u also get the good visual view for the customers
I have been making aloe soap for several years using my method and it works out just fine. It will stop leaking aloe. There is no reason to strain finely pureed aloe and it is part of the liquid no matter how thick it is. If you do not want any pulp, purchase aloe juice it is easier

Hi Guys,
So in the 1st pick the spots occurred after I spritzed with alcohol, not sure why. The second bar with the oil settling on top I strained and now letting it become hard. I figured out that I should've done a water discount. I'll post new pics. I did three grinds. 1. I ground up the entire leaf. 2. I cut the skin off and ground that separate, strained it and got green pulp to use separately and 3. I ground the inside and strained that. Ive made soaps using all 4 pulps and it is going well so far

IMG_20171225_110357.jpg

IMG_20171225_110425.jpg

IMG_20171225_110753.jpg

Hi Guys,
So in the 1st pick the spots occurred after I spritzed with alcohol, not sure why. The second bar with the oil settling on top I strained and now letting it become hard. I figured out that I should've done a water discount. I'll post new pics. I did three grinds. 1. I ground up the entire leaf. 2. I cut the skin off and ground that separate, strained it and got green pulp to use separately and 3. I ground the inside and strained that. Ive made soaps using all 4 pulps and it is going well so far
Ground Aloe leaf will be very scratchy in soap, it is far better to filet off the aloe and use it for your puree. Even finely pureed aloe leaf will be scrubby. With the amount of aloe available where I live I have tried it many ways in soap

Good to know. If it's exfoliating scrubby I will like it lol. If not lesson learned. Thanks for your feedback

Latest posts

Back