A perfect day

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
Ever have one of those days? You know....the ones that are just perfect from beginning to end? I had one yesterday. It was too good not to share. My best friend and I took the train to NYC, which in the winter can be brutally cold, but yesterday was just gorgeous. It was the day of the Santa Claus pub crawl, so there were lots of Santas and elves on the train and in the streets, adding to the festive mood of the city at this time of year. We stopped by Bryant Park (pic #1) to see the skaters and to browse in the Winter Village there, so of course, I had to see what was up in the Sabon stall.(pic #2) I didn't buy anything, but it sure smelled good in there.

Then on to the real reason for the trip. We went to see Michael C. Hall in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch". (pic #3) If you're a fan of his in Dexter, you would have loved him in this production. I kept looking for some sign of Dexter there, but there was none to be found. O...M...G...he was fabulous!!! And so was Lena Hall, (pic #4) who has already won a Tony for her portrayal. We waited outside the stage door for almost an hour to see if we could get an autograph, but were told that Michael wouldn't come out until after the evening performance, but Lena did, and she was friendly and gracious, not to mention beautiful. It's hard to imagine that she can play such a totally believable guy, but she pulls it off convincingly. I just watched her on youtube, applying the make up for her transformation into Yitzhak, and I still can't believe it, she's nothing short of amazing!

We had a "dinner" of apps and drinks, then walked back to the station for the ride home. Grand Central had it's holiday face on. (pic #5) We slept all the way home, we had worked the night before and gotten up very early to make the train. We were two tired, very happy campers, and I'm still smiling this morning. Hope you enjoy the pics! :-D

bryant park.jpg

sabon.jpg

hedwig.jpg

lena.jpg

grand central.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like so much fun! I had the pleasure of visiting NYC around Christmas-time once and it was pretty awesome (saw the Rockettes and the Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall). Did you buy anything from the Sabon stall?

IrishLass :)

That looks like so much fun! I had the pleasure of visiting NYC around Christmas-time once and it was pretty awesome (saw the Rockettes and the Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall). Did you buy anything from the Sabon stall?

IrishLass :)

Noooo.....but I got a sample! Everything's so expensive in the city, I was trying to be a good girl. :smile:

Wow! My wife would be jealous if she read this. She's a "theatre person" and loves NYC. I Love theatre too, but NYC?...not so much. It is nice at Christmas. Glad you had a great time

Thanks, it was pretty wonderful! The Belasco theater is small and exquisitely beautiful. We had orchestra seats in the center and ten rows back....it was amazing. And you know, as crowded as it is in New York at this time of year....it was literally wall to wall people on the sidewalks, and you were bumping into and being bumped into constantly....everyone and I mean every one was really nice about it. Sorry...oops... you OK? Would I want to live there? No. But we live close enough to go in for the day, and that's nice. And the pleasure of a day like yesterday was worth every minute of crowded sidewalks. There's just something so exhilarating about watching a live performance, isn't there? The only thing that would have put it over the top, is if we'd been able to see Michael C. Hall up close and get his autograph, but Lena was such a pleasant surprise, she made up for it!

I think you and your wife should plan a trip. Just think how happy that would make her!!! Spring is just around the corner, and that's a nice time to visit N.Y., hint, hint. :smile:

Glad you had such a wonderful day. In this current world it's so easy to find things to complain about and when you have that "perfect" day, it makes it just that more special.

Glad you had such a wonderful day. In this current world it's so easy to find things to complain about and when you have that "perfect" day, it makes it just that more special.

So true. I'm always stressed out at this time of year, and this was a surprise for me from my best friend. What a surprise, huh? I knew we were going to a show, but we we walked up to the marquee, and I saw "Michael C. Hall", I flipped! We had great seats, and I don't even have words for how much I enjoyed the play. We went to a great Irish bar afterwords for apps and drinks before the walk back to take the train home. To be able to enjoy a day like that with my best friend....that really is perfect!

I'm including a couple of more pictures. There was no picture taking allowed in the theater, but I did manage to sneak one after the show was over, and another street shot....NY really is a magical place. Hope you've enjoyed the pics.

stage.jpg

chrysler.jpg

Back