~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ Last Look At July Photo Entries~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Bath and Body Forum > Formulating sun screen cream/after sun lotion

Old 05-19-2017, 05:34 AM   #1
Desirae

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Formulating sun screen cream/after sun lotion

Hi all, it's been awhile since I've been here, but I'm back with a question. I'm trying to create using different websites a sunscreen that is creamy enough to be squeezed out of a tube, but every one that i try it ends up being rock hard, ive even resuced the amount of beeswax but still end up with the same result. So my question is is there a specific formula for making sunscreen as well as an after sun sun care lotion? If so what are the percentages for eacb ingredient?

For both the sunscreen and after sun care I want it to have aloe Vera oil since its great at protecting your skin. Also I've read that using macadamia nut oil acts like your own natural skins producing sebum, if I spelled that right. And I'm also using non nano zinc oxide.

What are the best ingredients to use when making sunscreen cream and after sun care lotion which can also be used as a sun burn lotion.

Or do you have a formula you willing to share with me? Thank you in advance

Old 05-19-2017, 05:39 AM   #2
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7972 Times on 3839 Posts
Likes Given: 3766

What have you been using? A lotion with beeswax? That sounds odd to me. Give us your thoughts so far and we can go from there.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
Desirae

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Efficacious Gentleman View Post
What have you been using? A lotion with beeswax? That sounds odd to me. Give us your thoughts so far and we can go from there.
I'm not using any lotion, I'm making it from scratch using beeswax, zinc oxide, apricot kernel oil, aloe Vera oil, refined shea butter, and coconut oil

Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7972 Times on 3839 Posts
Likes Given: 3766

I meant, what sources (recipes) have you been using, even giving the amounts of the ingredients that you list would be helpful. You want help, you have to give people information that they could do something with - if the aloe and the AP oil are only 10% of the total, or if they are 90% of the total - that makes a massive difference to feedback and ideas.

As it stands, those ingredients do not make a lotion in any sense that I would use. A balm, maybe - but unless you look at water, emulsifier, and preservative, getting something fluid enough for a squeeze tube won't be easy.
toxikon Likes This 
Old 05-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
toxikon

Liked 934 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Here's a good read on the topic from the very experienced Susan at Swifty Crafty Monkey: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.ca...-does-spf.html
People Like This 
Old 05-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #6
Dahila
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1253 Times on 800 Posts
Likes Given: 3183

you should not make sunscreen at home, it requires to much science, You think people who are famous cosmetic formulators would not make one for themselves ?

Old 05-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
dixiedragon

Liked 3548 Times on 2049 Posts
Likes Given: 1576

I agree with Dahila that it's better to get some proven sunscreen, but hopefully you would only be using this on yourself and not on any children?

I've never made sunscreen myself, but with regards to lotion making - Beeswax is just too hard and has too high of a melt temp for a liquid lotion. If you want something that squeezes out of a tube, then you need to go with all liquid oils. Some are purported to have sun protective effects - like blackberry seed oil and raspberry seed oil.
People Like This 
Old 05-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #8
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4588 Times on 2694 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Whether you use oils with supposedly sunscreen properties you will still burn in the sun. Sunscreen needs to be made by companies that have or work with a lab and have had all formulas tested. I spent most of my life playing on /in the ocean and in the desert and before sun screen came out I had some nasty burns. Do Not mess with sunscreen. Oil is oiling attracts sun and burns the skin.

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
People Like This 
Old 05-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #9
Desirae

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Efficacious Gentleman View Post
I meant, what sources (recipes) have you been using, even giving the amounts of the ingredients that you list would be helpful. You want help, you have to give people information that they could do something with - if the aloe and the AP oil are only 10% of the total, or if they are 90% of the total - that makes a massive difference to feedback and ideas.

As it stands, those ingredients do not make a lotion in any sense that I would use. A balm, maybe - but unless you look at water, emulsifier, and preservative, getting something fluid enough for a squeeze tube won't be easy.
Here are 3 of the recipes I've found online.2oz zinc, 4oz shea, 4oz CO, 4oz carrier oil and 2 oz beeswax. 2. 1/4 cup beeswax, Shea butter and CO 2 tbsp zinc. 3. 90g CO 65g carrier oil, 28.5g beeswax, 27.5g Shea and 40 g zinc, I've adjusted the beeswax to put a little less since I know that what's responsible for the sunscreen to come out rock hard.

I just looking to find out what the formula is in order for it to be fluid enough to squeeze out of a tube like a cream but not so fluid that it comes out like lotion

Old 05-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #10
lenarenee
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1920 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 662

I beg you to listen to the above people who strongly suggested to not make your own sunscreen....especially if you're going to use it on other people.

I implore you to not do it.

I know sure screen is ridiculously expensive, but every single commercial batch is stringently tested for things like particle dispersion, applications consistency, product degradation I adverse conditions, etc. Making it at home just simply doesn't properly disperse the zinc or titanium.

As for oils providing protection: oils come from crops grown in different regions, climates, and conditions, Any spf protection will vary from source to source so you never know what you get. Not to mention how the oil was processed or stored adding more variables.

Long story short. I'm a child care provider who was forced by a parent to only use her homemade stuff on her children. This woman is a neurologist. After an hour in the San Diego summer but shaded park, the kids started to burn and I took them home. Then I got reamed for not applying the sunscreen and burning her kids.

Dahila Likes This