~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Liquid Soap and Cream Soap Forum > Infusions in LS

Old 05-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #1
Jena

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Default Infusions in LS

Hi All,

Hopefully this will be my last question before I take the plunge. I've read not to add tea's or milk to LS, but my olive oil usually comes in the house, straight into mason jars over teas and herbs. I'm thinking infused oils would be fine since the herbs were all dry when I started, and I always spritz the mason jars with rubbing alcohol to be safe. Will this require a preservative? There is no water involved.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7863 Times on 4329 Posts
Likes Given: 16543

It's really early here, so please forgive my muzziness, but are you asking if the infusions need a preservative? You said there is no water, but liquid soap requires lots of water.

What are you hoping to achieve by using infused olive oil. I assure you that no "benefits" of herbs and teas will survive the lye bath.

People Like This 
Old 05-20-2017, 05:16 AM   #3
Jena

That's a good point. I was thinking on the basis that I'm not adding water to the infused oils. I infuse the olive oil for my CP soaps on a consistent basis. I know the lye kills most benefits, but the soaps are always different and nice. I'm guessing this will be okay then, as long as I stay within the appropriate ratio of water. Since it's my second, and the first flopped, I figure I'm not going to add anything but the water and sodium lactate at dilusion.

Thanks for answering. Sorry for the time last night. It's my night owl nature.
Susie Likes This 
Old 05-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #4
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

You can indeed infuse any dried herb into the oil for liquid soap. I routinely use paprika infused olive oil for mine, as it gives a nice shade of yellow I can't get otherwise.
Jena Likes This 
Old 05-29-2017, 12:39 AM   #5
Jena

Default I finally did it

I finally bit the bullet and tried again.

I used the instructions on the page you gave me before. It came to a thick trace really fast, and when a few bubbles flew, I left it for the night. Tested, no zap. I was surprised the paste was hard and not soft. This morning I added the water and sodium lactate. My mason jar is apothecary, and kept leaking so I threw the contents back in a pot and left it sit until I couldn't stand it anymore, and got out my stick blender. So, it's really cloudy, but it is soap.

The ph on the meter now is 8.4. Should I be worried it's so low again, even though it's in safe range. I also added Germall plus. It seems gentle enough. (Washed my hands with it. I can never resist checking a new soap for suds. I know, It's stupid that I'm amazed every time I see suds.) Anyway, I figured I'd set it aside for a week before putting it in the shower.

Thanks for all your help.
People Like This 
Old 05-29-2017, 01:07 AM   #6
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

It is fine, go ahead and enjoy. The cloudiness is tiny bubbles from the stick blender. I get them, too, as I am too impatient to wait for full dilution. They will all go away over time.

Trust me, I still grin every time I lather up my hands to test a new batch. I am still amazed that I can make soap that actually works, and is GOOD soap.
Jena Likes This 
Old 05-29-2017, 01:34 AM   #7
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11268 Times on 5099 Posts
Likes Given: 5035

"...The ph on the meter now is 8.4. Should I be worried it's so low again, even though it's in safe range...."

I would not expect the pH to be that low. Are you doing the test correctly? http://www.modernsoapmaking.com/how-...handmade-soap/
People Like This 
Old 05-29-2017, 01:53 AM   #8
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

I just assumed with a pH in non-separated soap that the test was done incorrectly. All I cared was that it was zapless. But I probably should have said something.
Jena Likes This 
Old 05-29-2017, 01:56 AM   #9
Jena

Default Ph

I've been placing the meter into the soap to a line where your supposed to stop. It's a Homdox portable.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11268 Times on 5099 Posts
Likes Given: 5035

Did you read the article I gave a link to? I really think you're not doing the test correctly. It's not just about using the meter per the manufacturer's instructions -- it's about preparing the sample properly so the meter can give an accurate reading. The apparent (inaccurate) pH is usually skewed low -- in other words, the actual, real pH is usually higher and often by quite a bit.

This issue with measuring pH incorrectly is so very, very common that I have the same opinion as Susie -- I automatically assume the test isn't being done properly. And even if done correctly, it isn't necessarily all that useful.

Jena Likes This