Powdered caffeine in scrubs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermanam

Reaction score
A friend has asked me to make her a sugar scrub with caffeine (supposedly has anti-inflammatory and skin-smoothing properties, but who knows?). Anyway, does this change any of my labeling requirements (other than adding caffeine in the ingredient list?). Would this be considered a drug instead of a cosmetic? I see lots of caffeinated scrubs out there, so I'm thinking it must be with the limits of our labeling requirements, as long as I don't make any medicinal claims. Anyone know for sure? Thanks for the help. :)

Just bumping this up to see if anyone uses caffeine in body scrubs or lotions?

For labeling it all has to do with your claims. Make no claims and you are dealing with a cosmetic. Start making claims and you have a drug.

I have found usage rates online between 1-5%...that seems like a wide range. If anyone here has used anhydrous caffeine in scrubs or lotions, any advice about usage rates? I plan on starting at the low end with 1%, but I am surprised at how little information is available. Anhydrous caffeine is water soluble, so I will need to dissolve it in distilled water and add it to my emulsified scrub recipe. I don't usually add water based ingredients to my scrubs. I do use a preservative, so should there be any problems with doing this, correct? Thanks for the help :)

A friend has asked me to make her a sugar scrub with caffeine (supposedly has anti-inflammatory and skin-smoothing properties, but who knows?). Anyway, does this change any of my labeling requirements (other than adding caffeine in the ingredient list?). Would this be considered a drug instead of a cosmetic? I see lots of caffeinated scrubs out there, so I'm thinking it must be with the limits of our labeling requirements, as long as I don't make any medicinal claims. Anyone know for sure? Thanks for the help. :)

Hey Hermanam, I have both seen anhydrous for sale and caffein soaps for sale. Look it up and you'll find a few.

Hey Hermanam, I have both seen anhydrous for sale and caffein soaps for sale. Look it up and you'll find a few.

Yes, I have seen many of these products for sale too. However, I am finding conflicting information about usage rates and methods of incorporating the solution into the recipe. I was hoping someone here might have experience with anhydrous caffeine in bath and body products. Thanks in advance!

Yes, I already have anhydrous caffeine and I have seen many of these products for sale too. However, I am finding conflicting information about usage rates and methods of incorporating the solution into the recipe. I was hoping someone here might have experience with using anhydrous caffeine in bath and body products. Thanks in advance!

What type of caffeine! I might be regarded but I made a scrub with sugar and coffee (don't judge) cuz I wanted to see what all the hype was about as it pertains to cellulite and I didn't notice a difference whatsoever. I was bumbed

Aline, that is where I got my anhydrous caffeine too. Have you used it in scrubs? I plan on dissolving it in water and adding it to my recipe. I haven't added water based products before, so I wasn't sure if this would be a problem? I do use Phenonip.

Back