Can OptiPhen Plus be used to preserve plain water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aab1

Reaction score
I bought Optiphen Plus to preserve plain water but even at 1% and mixing it seems to keep staying as a separate layer that floats over the water just as oil would.

This has me thinking Optiphen Plus can only be used in emulsions of water and oil and not in plain water, is this right? If so, what's the most natural preservative that can preserve plain water? By the way the water is not for drinking.

Thanks

I can't answer your question, but if you don't mine me asking, why are you wanting to preserve plain water? If you're buying distilled from the store, it should be fine (unopened) until the expiration date. Perhaps even later. The only reason water has an expiration date is because it starts to leech chemicals from the plastic.

I have a product that's basically essential oil floating on water, they are not emulsified and intentionally remain separated in the container. I'm trying to find the best most natural or least toxic preservative for this product. Would adding liquid soap to the water act as a preservative or make it spoil even faster? Would adding liquid soap allow the Optiphen Plus to remain emulsified in the water? I will eventually want to make a similar product that has a significant amount of liquid soap in the water (possibly 50% or more), would Optiphen Plus still separate in such a blend?

Thank you

Last edited:
Just water and essential oil doesn't require a preservative but as you are discovering they do not blend. You would be better off doing this as a light emulsion to get the essential oils to blend.

Is there a natural way to emulsify them in a way that the liquid won't become white like milk? In any case it's really not necessary for them to be emulsified unless it would help with preservation but I think it would have the opposite effect.

Is it normal for Optiphen Plus to not mix with water? I still just have a puddle of it floating on top of the water even when used at 1%.

Thanks

Because there is no emulsification it isn't going to blend. Something to think about is that since the EO is not blended properly into your product and is just floating there, there is the risk of someone being burned by the essential oils as you shouldn't be applying them neat which is basically what you have.

This is not to apply to skin, it is to then be mixed with iso alcohol by the buyer to then use as a scented electric shaver cleaning solution.

See I wouldn't be selling it without having the alcohol mixed into it because of the hazards of them deciding it smells so good they will just shake it and use it on their face. It is an avoidable and not only could it hurt them but it could also create a lawsuit.

I don't believe you can sell a product with alcohol in it without some kind of license. I could be wrong but I imagine there is some kind of restrictions.

You are allowed to sell after-shave made with alcohol so there really isn't any difference until you are using vodka or some such thing. But Rubbing Alcohol or denatured alcohol is allowed, at least in Canada. However I do know that in the US you can get perfumers alcohol which is also allowed. This could vary from state to state so I do recommend checking to make sure. It can be mailed using ground transport only.

Perfumer's alcohol uses denatured ethanol, too, far as I can tell. Non-denatured ethanol is where the permits and transport issues become deep and thorny, because it can be consumed. However:

Transport of hazardous materials is somewhat separate an issue, since TDG rules apply regardless of ethanol content.

I also found this http://www.creatingperfume.com/16ounceperfumersalcohol.aspx which states "Users purchasing 5 gallons or more in a calendar year are required to file for a permit with the Tax & Trade Bureau of the United States. If you do not yet have a permit, we can still send you up to 5 Gallons of SDA 40b for testing purposes in a single calendar year. "

It's the initial purchase of the ethanol that requires the most licensing, vs the product although you are required to explain the useage in the application (or at least, we are, in the lab setting in which I'm familiar with EtOH permit and ordering headaches)

I can't have alcohol in it as it severely limits my shipping options.

I just had an idea, my product contains a water based mix and an oil mix that are intentionally left seperate and non emulsified. If I mixed the OptiPhen Plus in the oil part instead would that work and would it prevent the water from going bad?

Otherwise what are other preservatives I could use in the water base that aren't too toxic?

Thanks

In general, Optiphen and Optiphen ND are both paraben and formaldehyde free and, in fact, are broad spectrum preservatives. For oil based recipes, you'll want to use Optiphen ND and for water based, Optiphen.

This is from emails back and forth between myself and Brambleberry support staff..
Hope it helps

What exactly does "water based" mean, is it water only and no oil, or mostly water and some oil emulsified in it? As I said Optiphen Plus does not mix in water at all, it just floats on top like oil would.

Would potassium sorbate in the water work to prevent it going bad?

Thanks

Water based as I understand it is.. more water than oil.
For my lotions which have more water than oils I can use orginal optiphen and be covered. I don't know if the same applies for your purposes. I would suggest doing more research or emailing with support staff from your supplier

What exactly does "water based" mean, is it water only and no oil, or mostly water and some oil emulsified in it? As I said Optiphen Plus does not mix in water at all, it just floats on top like oil would.

Would potassium sorbate in the water work to prevent it going bad?

Thanks

Water based is meant to be used in emulsified products.

Latest posts

Back