HELP First Bath Salts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itspaulas

Reaction score
HELP! I am new to all of this and decided for my first attempt to create bath salts. I have 5 drops EO, over 6 cups of sea salt, b.s. and ep.salts combined, 1 tsp. glycerin and food color. Problem...I put it in a sealed glass container to let it dry out for 24 hours, and the next day I have a CLUMP. I added some more sea salt and ep. salts and waited another day....I have a HARD CLUMP that I had to chip away at to break up. What is causing this? I thought perhaps humidity (I'm in N.D. with -25 degree temps and windchills of -46) but my inside thermometer reads 30% humidity in the house.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

It will not dry in a container. You will need to spread it out somewhere & allow it to dry thorough for several days. If you pack it before it drys it will rot & mold & you will be very sorry. (Don't ask me how I know :oops:)

itspaulas said:
HELP! I am new to all of this and decided for my first attempt to create bath salts. I have 5 drops EO, over 6 cups of sea salt, b.s. and ep.salts combined, 1 tsp. glycerin and food color. Problem...I put it in a sealed glass container to let it dry out for 24 hours, and the next day I have a CLUMP. I added some more sea salt and ep. salts and waited another day....I have a HARD CLUMP that I had to chip away at to break up. What is causing this? I thought perhaps humidity (I'm in N.D. with -25 degree temps and windchills of -46) but my inside thermometer reads 30% humidity in the house.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Hi Im new here but not new to salts lol.. I have a formula that has done quite well for me both personally and at my shop. I cant really disclose that but.. may I ask how much BS you are using? I use one full cup to every 4 cups of salt. I find it helps with the drying time. and it is a good skin softener and soother... usually I can dry a batch in 24 hours.

Hope that helps :)

Tabitha said:
(Don't ask me how I know :oops:)

LOL Tabitha, thanks for the feedback. When I got home and read your post I immediately spread it out on cookie pans and tucked it away. Will see how that goes. p.s. I'm sure you heard about a friend of a friend of a friend who had that happen. :wink:

SomethingtoShopAbout...I actually had a higher percentage than you stated. It was 25% b.s. versus what I assume is 20% in yours? So I thought like you, that the soda would dry'er right up. SILLY ME! :?

possibly a stupid question. . .what is the glycerin for? I have seen a lot of recipes online and even saved a few to try and none of them have glycerine in the ingredients. . . .confused

I'm not sure what the glycerin is for either. It's probably pulling moisture into your salts causing clumps

Hi Im new here but not new to salts lol.. I have a formula that has done quite well for me both personally and at my shop. I cant really disclose that but.. may I ask how much BS you are using? I use one full cup to every 4 cups of salt. I find it helps with the drying time. and it is a good skin softener and soother... usually I can dry a batch in 24 hours.

I didn't know you have to dry out bath salts before packaging????

Aline it all depends on how much oils, fragrance and moisture in the air contributes to your outcome. Sometimes I dry, sometimes I don't

The original thread is from 2009, so I bet those salts are dried out by now..... ;)

Haha CanaDawn. :p

Anyways, an interesting topic. I never had any trouble with my bath salts, and I didn't dry it at all. I'm trying it out now.
Now what I'm worried about; won't the drying lose some of the fragrance as well??

I guess you could add fragrance after drying. I'm in Hawaii and it's fairly humid here so I'm not sure how that would work to 'dry' bath salts....

Latest posts

Back