Purity of "Instant Power Crystal Lye Drain Opener"?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is just like washing soda. I think it could be added to the washer. Thanks for the reply, I think I posted this in the wrong place, as I am still learning this site system.

I also use Roebic NaOH Lye (Crystal Drain Opener) pictured above by Artemis when I am traveling and did not bring enough of what I purchase cheaper online. Before finding an online source that I like (which is often Essential Depot, but I have used others as well), I found the Roebic at Tractor Supply Company. Where I live, and in most states where I have looked for it, I can always find it in a TSC, but it is not always available at many hardware stores, including Lowes or Home Depot. TSC has been the most consistent source for me when traveling.

I agree with Susie, that the Roebic drain opener lye is far more expensive than ED, even with shipping costs included. But for a beginning hobbiest, or someone who doesn't want to wait for a shipment, the 100% sodium hydroxide lye crystals in a drain opener works just fine.
It's not cheaper at Ed, it's 23$ with a 30% off coupon for 4lbs but I just got 4, 1lb Crystal lye drain opener bottles from Walmart for 22$ and I don't have to pay shipping.

It's not cheaper at Ed, it's 23$ with a 30% off coupon for 4lbs but I just got 4, 1lb Crystal lye drain opener bottles from Walmart for 22$ and I don't have to pay shipping.
HI @Amberlei83 - Earlene's post that you quoted was written in 2017, and prices have fluctuated greatly since then. ;)

Also, if you have Amazon Prime, you can buy the ED lye without paying shipping charges. And if you can buy in quantity from a chemical supplier, it's much cheaper per lb. Of course, not everyone wants and can store 50lb of NaOH around their house. ;)

Latest posts

Back