Dual Lye Liquid Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BattleGnome I did have to add more water to thin out the soap and now waiting to see if it will thicken back up to the viscosity I want. What I'm experiencing is what Susie said, dilution is problematic and I'm sure in my case it's because of the high % of NaOH I used. This is the 6th day and still trying to get the soap functional.

Did you read the first part of this thread? That's what we talked about! Also see http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=59747 starting about Post 32.

I'm pretty sure I missed all that, I only skimmed the first half of the thread as I want making liquid soap yet. The only reason I even thought of it was because my husband finally complimented one of my soaps without excessive nagging and it happened to be my first liquid soap.

Yes, the OTHER thread is longer and started in 2016 ... but the gist is in THIS thread if you just want the executive summary. THIS thread is only 24 posts long including this one, and it only got started on the 4th of this month. So might want to read the whole thing.

Hi Susie, HELLLPPPP PLEASE. I know the saying is patience is a virtue but at this point I'm screaming and pulling my hair out. It's been 7 days since the dilution process I only have a week supply of soap left so I'll need to use this batch I made over a week ago very soon. As I mentioned the soap was way to thick so I added water to thin it out but it is too thin so I added more paste but it's not thickening, please if you have any suggestions trust me it will be so much appreciated.

Three options -- pick one or all --

1. If you have any paste left, start over with that paste and dilute more cautiously.

2. Just use what you've got the way it already is. It's useful soap even if it's not thick enough to suit you.

3. Put the too-thin soap in a crock pot with the lid off and the temp setting on high. Let some water evaporate and see what happens.

I won't be terribly surprised to hear the diluted soap from this batch is either too thick or too thin, and it doesn't seem possible to dilute it to a "just right" consistency.

Back