Pricing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasues

Reaction score
:? Hoping to get some responce from these question My wife has a backgroung as she was a rep for a Swiss Herbal company Her dream was to make handcrafted EO CP soap Well we have The generation was a 3oz bar( great results) but not ready to wholesale. The current generation is a 4oz batch with EO and swirled coloring Looking better but my concern is the cost to profit ratio. Taking the total cost since the start without the product used to produce soap ( pans scales and so on ) our average cost is about $1.50 a bar. We have started buying in larger quanities and can see where we can reduce the cost. We understand this is not a get rich quick business But having 500 bars of soap is an expensive hobby. We love making and the really excitment is the cutting the so see the swirling and the experience the scent. What is the market like out there Any help would be appreciated

What's your question, exactly?

Are you asking how to cut costs? If you are ready to sell? What soaps people buy? Overall business advice? Where to sell? How to price? Or something else?

Just my opinion, but if you've made only 2 batches y'all should probably get more experience under your belt before thinking about selling....

fiddletree said:
What's your question, exactly?

Are you asking how to cut costs? If you are ready to sell? What soaps people buy? Overall business advice? Where to sell? How to price? Or something else?

Just my opinion, but if you've made only 2 batches y'all should probably get more experience under your belt before thinking about selling....

Thank you for answering and yes to all of your above question
Are you asking how to cut costs?
If you are ready to sell?
What soaps people buy?
Overall business advice?
Where to sell?
How to price?

We are currently making a 30 bar batch using EO's We have made about 20 batches So maybe I am loosing confidence in our product but just looking for direction and someone to share their experience For example we use about 14 oz of lye (per batch)currently buying price of about $9.00 for 16oz We could purchase 480 lbs @about .87 cents which would reduce cost Are familar with a company call Indigo Wild there soap is called ZUM We are not attempting to copy but create a similar product
What is your experience Does one have to purchase 500lbs of lye. Gallons of EO's (or perhaps switch or combine with FO's) Purchase Olive at 200 lbs to make a profit When I say profit we would be satisfied at $1.00 profit per bar So much thanks again

Where are you located? It would make no sense to recommend US suppliers if you are in Canada or Australia.

I get lye (including shipping) for $2-3 per lb from a variety of US based suppliers. $9/lb is very expensive. Many suppliers also sell the less pricey EOs for $20-30/lb if you purchase by the lb.

I also endorse the thread that Irishlass listed.

General wisdom is to have at least a year of experience soaping before attempting to sell. How will you know how stable your product is over time otherwise?

judymoody said:
Where are you located? It would make no sense to recommend US suppliers if you are in Canada or Australia.

I get lye (including shipping) for $2-3 per lb from a variety of US based suppliers. $9/lb is very expensive. Many suppliers also sell the less pricey EOs for $20-30/lb if you purchase by the lb.

General wisdom is to have at least a year of experience soaping before attempting to sell. How will you know how stable your product is over time otherwise?

I did read the thread makes sence ( did read about the gent with 40,000 hours into it Sounds like he is developing a large scale distribution center) But 1 year waiting Are you doing this full time We are looking to go full time after retirerment 5 years Are you or did you wait a year ????

jasues said:
judymoody said:

I did read the thread makes sence ( did read about the gent with 40,000 hours into it Sounds like he is developing a large scale distribution center) But 1 year waiting Are you doing this full time We are looking to go full time after retirerment 5 years Are you or did you wait a year ????
Oh yes located in Missouri

jasues said:
jasues said:
judymoody said:

Thank you for your time I assure you I or we are not going away due to discouragment We are hooked and you know better than i all the reasons
We will continue Would you provide the venders or links to lye and EO's by the pound Thanks again

Yes- a year is very highly recommended. Not only will you be protecting yourself and the good name of your future business from many of the unforseen-as-yet problems that can and do happen to soap 2 and 3 months or more down the road after unmolding it (DOS/rancidity, scent fading/morphing, color fading/morphing, etc..), but you'll also be safeguarding your future customer base by having developed a consistant, tried and true product that has stood the test of a year's time. It might be hard to see the importance or significance of that at the moment, but trust me, you will thank yourself for having been patient in the end.

I have been making soap for almost 6 years now, and knowing the problems that can occurr in a batch of seemingly great-at-first soap, there's absolutely, positively no way I would ever consider selling after only a few months.

IrishLass :)

Nicely put! I completely concur with the exception that I recommend knowing how your soap will hold up for 6 months to a year! Stability testing is SO important!

jasues said:
jasues said:
jasues said:
judymoody said:

Thank you for your time I assure you I or we are not going away due to discouragment We are hooked and you know better than i all the reasons
We will continue Would you provide the venders or links to lye and EO's by the pound Thanks again

Wodering if I am using this forum correctly Did you or are you recieving this reply or am I supposed PM It sounds so personal

IrishLass said:
Yes- a year is very highly recommended. Not only will you be protecting yourself and the good name of your future business from many of the unforseen-as-yet problems that can and do happen to soap 2 and 3 months or more down the road after unmolding it (DOS/rancidity, scent fading/morphing, color fading/morphing, etc..), but you'll also be safeguarding your future customer base by having developed a consistant, tried and true product that has stood the test of a year's time. It might be hard to see the importance or significance of that at the moment, but trust me, you will thank yourself for having been patient in the end.

I have been making soap for almost 6 years now, and knowing the problems that can occurr in a batch of seemingly great-at-first soap, there's absolutely, positively no way I would ever consider selling after only a few months.

IrishLass :)[/quote

Thank you IrishLass Your advice is now part of our business plan that could only be so generously given by a SOAPER As you know we are newbies but recently meet 2 Soapers with about 20 years experience They were so helpful as you have been Must be genetics

jasues said:
jasues said:
jasues said:
jasues said:
judymoody said:

Wodering if I am using this forum correctly Did you or are you recieving this reply or am I supposed PM It sounds so personal

carebear said:
Nicely put! I completely concur with the exception that I recommend knowing how your soap will hold up for 6 months to a year! Stability testing is SO important!

Thank you for your time It means so much to us Such caring people

jasues said:
jasues said:
jasues said:
jasues said:
judymoody said:

Hi Jaseus, if you're addressing me, I've been away from the forum for a few days, bad cold, hence no reply.

I've been soaping about a year and a half. I am primarily a hobbyist and make soap for gifts but I donate soaps to charity events, participate in swaps, and only in the last month I have been selling the occasional bar if somebody asks. For those reasons I carry liability insurance and report any profit as supplemental income. It sounds like what you are envisioning is much more ambitious. My early soaps were safe and usable and have been stable over time but what I make now is so much better. I would hate to be judged by my early efforts.

Scents can morph or fade over 1, 2, 3, 6 months. Generally if it's stable at the 3 month period I consider it reliable.

For lye, try Essential Depot, The Lye Guy, Duda Diesel, or AAA chemical.

Back