Help with labeling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittywings

Reaction score
So I'm working on my labels and I'm hoping you guys can help.

My basic premise is up-market, simple and elegant packaging that people would like to have showing on their counter. I have my overall packaging sorted out and I know how I want the labels to look, but I'm trying to figure out where I can put all of the FDA regulation stuff (i.e. ingredients, warnings, etc.) without it impinging on the overall look.

I know this could be rectified by boxing my lotion, etc. but a lot of my "platform" is environmental consciousness (the last thing the world needs is more paper/plastic waste). My main thought is a tag attached to the package, but reading through all of the stuff you have to include on a label... I feel like it would have to be huge.

Also, I was looking at other companies packaging to see how they had arranged their info and I noticed that on Burt's Bees Lip Balm they didn't use the INCI terms for their ingredient list! How do they get away with that?

I know others will correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've read that unless you claim it has properties and does this that or the other, it's not a cosmetic and in the US you don't have to go by FDA labeling rules.

Rosey said:
I know others will correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've read that unless you claim it has properties and does this that or the other, it's not a cosmetic and in the US you don't have to go by FDA labeling rules.

Now I could be wrong, but I THINK you're thinking about the difference between a cosmetic and a drug...

"The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act) defines cosmetics by their intended use, as "articles intended to be rubbed, poured, sprinkled, or sprayed on, introduced into, or otherwise applied to the human body...for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness, or altering the appearance" [FD&C Act, sec. 201(i)]. Among the products included in this definition are skin moisturizers, perfumes, lipsticks, fingernail polishes, eye and facial makeup preparations, shampoos, permanent waves, hair colors, toothpastes, and deodorants, as well as any material intended for use as a component of a cosmetic product."
:?

The following is an excerpt from a page that I was referred to time and time again when I began making soap and was still learning about labeling......

"So long as no cosmetic representations are made for soap, other than that it cleanses, and no claims are made that it will affect the structure or functions of the body or treat a disease, it is beyond FDA regulation. When such claims are made the soap must meet all FDA requirements for a cosmetic or a drug or both, whichever is appropriate. If it's represented as a drug the label must list all active ingredients; if represented as both a cosmetic and drug or as only a cosmetic the label must list all ingredients."

I assume this would mean as long as you just label your soap as "Handmade" or "Hand Crafted Soap" that this would apply and there would be no need for ingredients to be listed, just an assumption on my part.
All of the info is so confusing that I chose to list the INCI names, oz. , place of business, warnings etc on all my bars that way I'm covered. It just seemed easier to be safe than sorry.

I've never used "Burt's Bees" products so haven't seen the labeling on their various products.

Here's the link to the page that the FDA info is on regarding soap.

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/Productand ... 115449.htm

I use a cigar band label, on the front is my business name at the top, then is the name of the soap with the ounces under that and finally at the bottom is my website info on the left and my place of business city and state on the bottom right.
When I wrap the label around the soap the ingredients, warnings, etc are on the back of the label.
I used to use the front for all info but it looked cluttered.

Good Luck:)

Bath & Body Works puts a lot of labels on the bottoms of their containers, and the labels, which I'm sure are costly, fold out to convey all of the ingredients. Of course, it's all printed in teeny tiny text too. If you use a small point size, I don't see why a tag would have to be huge.

Depending on the container, a clear label might not be so obtrusive. You could put it on the back of the bottle or jar.

Kittywings: I think if your ingredients are listed on the back in small print it will not interfere with the elegant front of your bottle.

Back