Accelerating - Seizing, what's the diff ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To my mind seized soap is totally solid , it doesn't drip or glop it is cement . Acceleration means you better move faster than normal to get that soap in the mold once you add whatever it is that might cause acceleration. That is why the FO sellers test scents so they can warn you to move fast or skip using that scent.

Kitn

Soap that accelerates very quickly or even 'seized' batches can be saved, don't throw them out. If you are using an 'untried' FO keep a pot on the stove at the 'ready' in case it seizes your batch. Just HP it. It doesn't behave exactly like a regular HP batch, it's much quicker to go to vaseline gloss. You get the same soap appearance as a rough HP but at least the score is soap '1'.....garbage '0'.

Sygrid

If you are using a touchy fo, or a new one for that matter, don't discount your water, work with the full water amount that soap calc gives you. Also, working cool can help as well, I mean cool lye water and cool oils, well coolish, don't let them re-solidify. This along with the additional water can help buy a little more time. Also, some add their fo to the oils before the lye, that way if it seizes at least the fo is all mixed in.

artisan soaps said:
Thanks for explaining Kitn ..

Warning folks: Avabathe FO accelerates like a little red sports car! :lol:

Does the lye strength play any part in the likelihood of seizing? Just I used soapmaker (for the first time) to figure out weights etc and did a 33% concentration ..

*totally loving the little graph tool by the way :D

I know there are other forums for this, but it might be kinda nice to have an ongoing thread of FOs that don't play well with others.

It would LJA , but I wonder what variables play a part in the seize . You can read reviews that say soaps like a dream , plenty of play time, you use it and bam , SOS.

Kitn

Kitn said:
It would LJA , but I wonder what variables play a part in the seize . You can read reviews that say soaps like a dream , plenty of play time, you use it and bam , SOS.

Kitn

Yeah, you're right, Kitn. I used the tip that Carebear (i think) gave me about mixing the FO with some raw soap before putting it in the big batch too, and that does seem to help. Lots of factors in play...

Back