Shaving Soap Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
I have never attempted making shaving soap. But now that I have a request from both my husband and nephew, I would like to surprise them with some for Christmas.

I have not found any formulas or reviews of formulas on the internet that I am confident about.

Can anyone direct me to a good recipe for a first time shaving soap that I will be proud to gift to these special fellows?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Shaving soap needs two things to work well:

50% or more stearic plus palmitic acids in the fatty acid profile

50% or more KOH in the lye.

My personal recipe is:

50% stearic acid (which is probably a mix of stearic and palmitic acid)
20% Coconut oil
20% Lard
5% cocoa butter
5% Shea butter

5% super fat

glycerine at 5% of oil weight

60/40 KOH/NaOH lye.

Plan to hot process if you use isolated stearic acid, it will sopanify on contact with the lye. Reserve half the weight of the butters and add after the cook as superfat.

Mine was made with full water, so it's quite soft. I don't like much scent in shaving soap, so I add only about a gram (or less) ppo.

This soap lathers very easily, lather will dry before it collapses, gives me wonderfully close and comfortable shaves, and is completely non-drying for me.

Yes, I have. Also Lee Bussey's tutorial, and this recipe is loosely based on his. Will be making some 100 gr test batches this weekend using castor oil and soy wax to see how those work.

This is a great site, lots of helpful people and a ton of good information!

Peter

Latest posts

Back