What made my goat milk soap crumble?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AsanaSoap

Reaction score
I'm new to using goat milk. I've made four batches so far and they've all worked well, until today. The recipe is 37.5% olive oil, 30% coconut oil, 32.5% palm kernel flakes. I use 128 grams of lye in 277 grams of milk. To this batch, I added raspberry fragrance oil and swirled in some red oxide and titanium dioxide, which I had dispersed in oil. I kept it cool and left it in the fridge overnight. When I took it out of the mold this morning it looked fine, but when I cut it, it crumbled! This has never happened to me before. I'm going to rebatch it in the crock pot and see what happens. Obviously the swirl will be lost. Too bad, because it was pretty. Advice is appreciated!

I know this is completely off your topic but I'm wondering why you chose to use coconut oil AND palm kernel flakes and around 30% each? I'm not saying your recipe is the culprit if this was a first time crumble but both of the those oils are notorious for being very cleansing.

I know this is completely off your topic but I'm wondering why you chose to use coconut oil AND palm kernel flakes and around 30% each? I'm not saying your recipe is the culprit if this was a first time crumble but both of the those oils are notorious for being very cleansing.
As stated above. Palm Kernel Flakes are Hydrogenated Palm Kernel oil which is from the kernel inside the palm fruit and is a cleansing oil like coconut oil. It is not to be confused with palm oil which is from the fruit of the palm. Most people keep coconut oil in the 20% range and if the want to use PKO and CO they will split the 20% between the two

I'm thinking it crumbled because of the high amount of CO and PKO. Over 60% and would require to be cut relatively quickly I would think 8 hours or so tops. I cut my 100% CO in about 3-4 hours. I'm suprised it didn't gel even in the fridge with that much. And it's going to be a very cleansing bar to boot.

Thanks eveeryone

From what you all said, I think I need to re-think this recipe, and watch the temp. I got the recipe online and it has worked, but maybe I was lucky. The soap was quite hard when I cut it, but still cool. The good news is I was able to re-batch it and it still smells great and looks nice too.

Latest posts

Back