Sad End of Season Musings(Not spam)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the cold weather coming, and the weatherman predicting freezing temps soon, it was time to clean up the last of the veggies and herbs. I pulled the chair and buckets out to the plants and started harvesting the herbs and trimming them down to the ground for a fresh start in the spring.

I listened to the birds chirping as they flitted from tree to tree, smelling the fresh mint as I clipped each sprig. Thinking how wonderful that mint was going to taste in some tea come those cold winter months. Mint is such a powerful reminder of warm, sunshiny summer days when it is cold and raining!

I moved on to the parsley and thyme, I felt the warm, moist wind moving over me, carrying the sound of the rooster down the road announcing to the world that those hens are HIS! Over and over. Thought about how very glad I am that he lives down the road. There are blessings to be counted for having enough property around you to avoid the rooster alarm every morning. Then I realized that Thanksgiving is just around the corner, so this parsley and thyme are going to go into cornbread dressing. No having to buy flavorless herbs this year! YUM!

I only had a few veggies that I grew this fall since I injured my hand. A couple of very small eggplants, ditto the cucumbers. Five small green tomatoes. So little. But, I am going to fry the eggplant and green tomatoes with some chicken tonight, and slice the cucumbers to add ACV and some of the dried dill I put up before it went to seed. And I am going to enjoy this meal!

While this is really sad for me to think the summer veggies and herbs are over, I am going to count my blessings that I have food I grew with my own two hands that I can actually use now, and will wash my dishes with soap I made with those same two hands. There is a silver lining to even sad things and peace to be gained even in the harvest. Spring is coming soon enough. And I can dream of warm days in the meantime.

Last edited:
Truly beautiful.

While you are lamenting the change of season, I'm lamenting not having that experience. Every day here is usually identical to the one before, and time passes much faster when there's virtually no distinction between seasons. No colored leaves, no leaf piles for dd to jump in. Air conditioning still being used until a couple days
ago. Spring is no longer a miracle of birth; it's hardly noticed.

Thanks Susie, for sharing a little of your world.

Beautiful writing!
And I wish I could send you some sunshine, it will be boiling 35 C here today:shock:

Back