~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Melt & Pour Forum > M&P Color Fade Issue

Old 09-13-2017, 01:20 AM   #1
Splashbombs17
Splashbombs17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default M&P Color Fade Issue

Hi everyone! I've been making soaps for a few months. I made a soap for a baby shower. I've attached a picture. The top of the soap is a clear glycerin base and I used mica powder to color it. It was a beautiful dark blue, as you can see. Two weeks later, the color has completely faded and disappeared and they have all turned clear! I've searched all over and have NO clue what is causing this. Any ideas, suggestions or help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3928.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	25927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5195.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	25928  

Old 09-13-2017, 02:57 AM   #2
Kittish
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 735 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Where did you get the mica that you used? Not all micas are good for using in soap, even MP. If it was colored with an FD&C dye or lake, the alkaline environment of the soap might have killed it.

Splashbombs17 Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4518 Times on 3019 Posts
Likes Given: 3728

I agree with Kittish, What kind and where it came from and was it designed for Soapamaking. Some ingredients in some micas either morph or disappear due to the ph.
Splashbombs17 Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Splashbombs17
Splashbombs17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittish View Post
Where did you get the mica that you used? Not all micas are good for using in soap, even MP. If it was colored with an FD&C dye or lake, the alkaline environment of the soap might have killed it.
The brand is Crafter's Choice. Is there a way to tell if it will morph before using it?

Old 09-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
Kittish
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Just the brand name doesn't help much. What exact product did you use? They have micas for cosmetics and other uses as well as for soaps. You want to check the product information (if it's not on the packaging, look on line) and use products that are soap stable. Also, looking at the ingredient list can be a clue. If it includes any FD&C listings, it's probably not soap stable (unless the packaging states specifically that it is).

Old 09-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
Splashbombs17
Splashbombs17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittish View Post
Just the brand name doesn't help much. What exact product did you use? They have micas for cosmetics and other uses as well as for soaps. You want to check the product information (if it's not on the packaging, look on line) and use products that are soap stable. Also, looking at the ingredient list can be a clue. If it includes any FD&C listings, it's probably not soap stable (unless the packaging states specifically that it is).
Ok thank you. I use cosmetic grade mica powders. No FD&C is listed in the ingredient/product information. Here are the ingredients: Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Iron Oxide, Ultramarine Blue

Old 09-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
Kittish
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Cosmetic grade is NOT the same as soap stable. Cosmetic grade only means it's safe to use on the skin (technically speaking, micas formulated for use specifically in soap are also 'cosmetic grade'). So, look for 'soap stable' in the product information.
SoapTrey Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #8
Splashbombs17
Splashbombs17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That is great information! Thank you so much.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:31 PM   #9
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 630 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 721

Yes, actually cosmetic grade I think (correct me if I am wrong), are more like for eye shadow and stuff. Micas need to be soap safe, and not necessarily cosmetic grade to use in soap.

The good news is that you can remelt it! And redo your whole design. Make sure you put sarah wrap in your container at the top to keep the moisture of the soap.

I know some here will have issue with what I am about to tell you, but I would get at Michaels or hobby lobby the non bleeding (glycerin base) colors that come in little bottles for your project Michele's has a 50%off coupon this week!) . They are very stable in MP. The other color for MP I like is the blocks sold by BB.

I am not a huge fan of the store you mentioned, the products I have bought do not meet the quality I usually expect.
Splashbombs17 Likes This 
Old 09-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #10
Splashbombs17
Splashbombs17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have not been a fan of those micas either and won't be repurchasing them. This is helpful info! Thank you so much.