~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > What soapy thing have you done today?

Old 09-12-2017, 04:42 AM   #6161
Kittish
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 735 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRiseArts View Post
Yes mam, the faces are melt and pour, and I painted with micas the eyes and mouth.
Awesomely done!

I have three batches of soap going concurrently. Kind of feeling a bit off the hook since I got done with the last editing job. I've got 500g batches each of a vanillin trial, that includes the glycerin-vanillin mix I made. I figured to add 25g of vanillin, which meant 63g of the mix (3:2 ratio). Mixed it into the oils before I added my lye. I saw little bits that looked like maybe some light ricing as soon as I added the lye, but they seem to be disappearing as the soap comes to emulsion. The soap batter looks and smells just like cake batter. Next soap is a lard soap, colored with indigo. I steeped a teaspoon of indigo powder in boiling distilled water, and let it sit for about 12 hours. Took a bit of mixing to get the powder to go into the water, it wanted to stay dry on top. Mixed up the water when I went to measure it for the lye (to stir up the sediment), and measured out a few extra grams to account for the extra weight of the indigo. Used about 2/3 of the indigo water for the soap, so the soap has 1/2-3/4 teaspoon of indigo in it. So far, it's a very dark blue-grey. The last batch I'm going to try a drop swirl with. Ruby red base color, with drops of black, gold, purple, and pink. I've got a lovely floral EO blend mixed to go into it. I used the nag champa attempt that MIL didn't like as the base, since DH doesn't like nag champa in any version, and I didn't want it to just sit around forever. Added rose geranium and ylang ylang, close to equal amounts. I kind of expect it to accelerate, so I'm going to add it to my batter just before I pour it for each color.

Last edited by Kittish; 09-12-2017 at 07:22 AM.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #6162
SoapAddict415

Liked 99 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Today I made a super cool soap for my son who is a huge fan of the movie the nightmare before Christmas. I scented it with bubble gum and milk / honey FOs. I think he will like them!
I love the Jack Skellington faces!

Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.
-Katharine Hepburn
SunRiseArts Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 04:30 AM   #6163
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 630 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 721

Thanks everyone!

Kittish, you need to post pictures!

Old 09-13-2017, 07:06 AM   #6164
Kittish
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

Kittish, you need to post pictures!
I will, as soon as I get my new phone. My old one died, and that's what I was using as a camera. No loaf pics, sorry. But I'll take pics of the cut soaps as soon as I can.

Tonight I learned how to use my shrink wrap equipment. Wasn't as tricky as I thought it might be. My labels are pretty basic, and not suitable for a product being sold, but they do include both ingredients -with sodium hydroxide listed right where it should be- and the net weight of each bar. I have vents in each end of the wrapping so the wrapped bars can breathe. I'll keep a close eye on them in the coming months. So long as they don't get spotty or develop any other problem, they'll go out as Christmas gifts. I borrowed DeeAnna's labeling style because I like how much usable space you have for information, but you can also see a lot of the soap surface.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #6165
penelopejane

Liked 1713 Times on 999 Posts
Likes Given: 2578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittish View Post
Tonight I learned how to use my shrink wrap equipment. I have vents in each end of the wrapping so the wrapped bars can breathe. I'll keep a close eye on them in the coming months.
Kittish some people recommend shrink wrapping soap just before it goes out because the soap can shrink inside the band.
SunRiseArts Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #6166
Kittish
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

I know, penelopejane. But the soaps I wrapped have been curing for three months, they should be pretty much done losing water. I'll check on them every month or so, see if there is any additional shrinkage along with checking for other problems.

Looked in on my soaps this morning, see if the lard and the vanillin soaps are ready to come out of their molds yet. The lard soap may be, I'll check it again this evening. The vanillin soap has drops of some fluid speckling the top of the loaf this morning. I did not zap test it at this time, though I will. (ETA- tested. Zap! Mild one, though, just a tiny tingle. Hmmm. Let it sit and see if it soaks back in I guess) I suspect it's glycerin. It's still too soft to unmold. And the soap is decidedly orange-ish in color, perceptibly darker than it was when I first poured the soap into the mold. I wonder how dark it's going to get?

I think I'm going to have to rethink my plastic mold liners. They worked great the first few times I used them, but they're starting to give me problems now. I'm getting soap leaking into the mold around the liners, and I'm making sure there aren't any wrinkles or gaps in the liner before I start pouring my soap. I had to take another mold apart to get the soap in the liner out. Right about now I'm really glad my molds are screwed together, rather than nailed. The liners are also getting sticky, they don't want to let go of the soap. *sigh* Back to the drawing board. Think I'll see about getting some mylar and try that out.

Last edited by Kittish; 09-13-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #6167
amd

Liked 592 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 393

Send a message via Skype™ to amd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
Shower steamers, packed 40 bath bombs, and got ready for syndet shampoo bars for tomorrow
I'm finally catching up on reading at the forum - so forgive my late inquiry regarding this! When I was in China in June, I picked up a shampoo bar. I finally tried it a few weeks ago, and I love it! I believe it is a syndet shampoo, it certainly does not behave like a cold process soap. It didn't even occur to me that I could make one - so now I'm a curious little cat. I'll be digging through the forum for info, but if you have a starting point to direct me to, I'd love the kickstart on my research
Dahila Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #6168
amd

Liked 592 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 393

Send a message via Skype™ to amd

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikon View Post
Just ordered a handful of new WSP fragrances to try for Christmas (and beyond): Peony, Green Apple, Clean Cotton, Sparkling Snowflake, Peppermint Stick, Black Raspberry Vanilla, Verbena & Lemon, Twilight Woods for Men
Sparkling Snowflake is one of my favorites. I have had Peony for about 6 months... but I can't bring myself to soap with it yet. (I don't like Peony. I got this for my daughter who has missed the bush we had at our old house.)

Old 09-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #6169
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 630 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 721

kittish are you getting that new iPhone X that cost 1000? I have a son that would! But I m cheap for those things, would not pay that much for a phone.

I made cocoa buttermilk soap. It smells delicious! I used cocoa cashmere FO from BB, I got last fall, which is why I made the soap. You can see the swirls from the cocoa powder, although is probably going to turn brown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170913_163732.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	25939  
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 11:10 PM   #6170
Kittish
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
kittish are you getting that new iPhone X that cost 1000? I have a son that would! But I m cheap for those things, would not pay that much for a phone.

I made cocoa buttermilk soap. It smells delicious! I used cocoa cashmere FO from BB, I got last fall, which is why I made the soap. You can see the swirls from the cocoa powder, although is probably going to turn brown.
Egads, no. I got a pretty basic phone that only cost about $200. I have a friend that would, if it was made by Microsoft. He's as zealous about Microsoft as Apple aficionados are about their products.

That's a pretty soap! I'm still waiting to get my drop swirl attempt out of the liner. The top is nice and firm, but the bottom is still really squishy. It smells fabulous, though. Clear rose (rose geranium, plus ylang to sweeten it some) with some exotic notes. I swear the ylang is unpredictable. It only accelerates about half the time I use it.