~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~



Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Recipe Feedback > Need some help identifying a soap issue
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2017, 04:36 AM   #21
PatrickH
The Perfectionist
 
PatrickH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Washington
Posts: 91
Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default

I'll look into that one also, thank you.


PatrickH is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:25 AM   #22
BattleGnome
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 878
Liked 705 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
Is the Citric Acid the same for candy making?
Same stuff should be fine. I used to use citric acid for canning in bath bombs and haven't noticed a difference since switching.

i use this sheet as my guide for use. I don't remember who posted it but it was buried in one of the citric acid threads. Basic useage is to mix your water and citric acid before adding your NaOH, it will get super hot.


BattleGnome is offline  
PatrickH Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #23
BrewerGeorge
 
BrewerGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,114
Liked 1556 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 553

Default

You can also just buy sodium citrate from Amazon. It's used for cooking and isn't expensive - about $10 a pound, which is enough for around 25 of my 700g batches of soap.

EDTA is better, but harder to find.
BrewerGeorge is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #24
PatrickH
The Perfectionist
 
PatrickH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Washington
Posts: 91
Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGnome View Post
Same stuff should be fine. I used to use citric acid for canning in bath bombs and haven't noticed a difference since switching.

i use this sheet as my guide for use. I don't remember who posted it but it was buried in one of the citric acid threads. Basic useage is to mix your water and citric acid before adding your NaOH, it will get super hot.
Awesome. Thank you for finding that for me.
My max lye temps seem to only going up to about 160f. Will it get hotter then that with Citric Acid?
PatrickH is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #25
PatrickH
The Perfectionist
 
PatrickH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Washington
Posts: 91
Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerGeorge View Post
You can also just buy sodium citrate from Amazon. It's used for cooking and isn't expensive - about $10 a pound, which is enough for around 25 of my 700g batches of soap.

EDTA is better, but harder to find.
I always forget to buy Citric acid on Amazon when I place a order on Amazon. I'm always trying to think of what I need to add to my other orders, can never think of anything until days after I place my order.. Been trying to make candy for about 6 months now, but I need Citric Acid.. strange how its not available anywhere locally..
PatrickH is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #26
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png
 
Kittish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: High altitude desert in southern Nevada
Posts: 1,071
Liked 1082 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 651

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
I always forget to buy Citric acid on Amazon when I place a order on Amazon. I'm always trying to think of what I need to add to my other orders, can never think of anything until days after I place my order.. Been trying to make candy for about 6 months now, but I need Citric Acid.. strange how its not available anywhere locally..
Have you looked with the canning supplies at stores that carry them? That's where I finally found it at WalMart.
Kittish is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #27
PatrickH
The Perfectionist
 
PatrickH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Washington
Posts: 91
Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittish View Post
Have you looked with the canning supplies at stores that carry them? That's where I finally found it at WalMart.
I haven't looked in that section of Wal-Mart, but I will next time I'm there.
It's also called Sour Salt. I think Whole Foods use to sell it, but they don't anymore.. Not a big enough seller for them to keep it stocked I guess.
I have asked in every other store and called around and no one has it or even knows where to get it.
The local pharmacy can get it for me, but they want like $40+ for 1lb lol.. or somewhere in that ridiculous price range.
PatrickH is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #28
PatrickH
The Perfectionist
 
PatrickH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Washington
Posts: 91
Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default

Made a complety different recipe last night. Should be much better then the previous batch. Fewer ingrediants. No scent, a bit of Colloidal Oatmeal and Walnut Shells. Very hard to resist adding clay for color, but I held back.. Wanted to see how the soap feels without adding anything that could be a little drying.

https://youtu.be/kDd7x-268MQ
PatrickH is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #29
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png
 
Kittish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: High altitude desert in southern Nevada
Posts: 1,071
Liked 1082 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 651

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
Made a complety different recipe last night. Should be much better then the previous batch. Fewer ingrediants. No scent, a bit of Colloidal Oatmeal and Walnut Shells. Very hard to resist adding clay for color, but I held back.. Wanted to see how the soap feels without adding anything that could be a little drying.

https://youtu.be/kDd7x-268MQ
Is that a little oil warmer crock? It looks even smaller than my small crock pot.
Kittish is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #30
BattleGnome
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 878
Liked 705 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
My max lye temps seem to only going up to about 160f. Will it get hotter then that with Citric Acid?
I've never measured initial temp, I tend to soap around 116F and wait a few minutes before I start checking. The cup I use for lye feels much warmer when I use citric acid than when I don't. It almost gets too hot for my to hold the cup when I mix.


BattleGnome is offline  
PatrickH Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Identifying unidentified animal fat Nao Lye-Based Soap Forum 0 02-03-2017 02:10 PM
Some help identifying these bumps in lotion? grassyriver Bath and Body Forum 19 06-07-2016 12:50 PM
Soap Issue Mphan85 Beginners Soap Making Forum 14 12-28-2015 05:06 AM
Identifying DOS prone oils SoapSap Beginners Soap Making Forum 9 03-15-2015 10:25 PM
Identifying an oil dandelion Lye-Based Soap Forum 6 03-27-2012 09:49 AM



Newest Threads