~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Liquid Soap and Cream Soap Forum > Essential oils-milky top

Old 09-12-2017, 10:29 PM   #1
Claudsoap

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Essential oils-milky top

Hello,

So I made a batch of LS and separated into 2 bottles.

I scented 1 with peppermint EO and it turned out great!

I scented the other one with a combo of Lemon, Orange and Pink Grapefruit essential oils. After a week I now have a milky layer on the top and some of the bottles have floating particles. It looks terrible.

I didnt use PS80. I added the essential oils while soap was warm.

Any recos would be appreciated.

Also Ive tried to find a thread on ES for LS with no luck. Id love to learn a little more on how each essential oil will work with liquid soap. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great too!

Old 09-12-2017, 11:18 PM   #2
toxikon
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1101 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudsoap View Post
I didnt use PS80.
I believe that's your problem right there. It's the PS80 that emulsifies the EOs/FOs into the liquid soap.

Susie Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 01:01 AM   #3
Claudsoap

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Ok. I wonder why it was okay with the Pepermint EO?! I've never used PS80 before. How do I use it? Can I just add a few drops to my bottle or is it to late?

Old 09-13-2017, 01:04 AM   #4
toxikon
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1101 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudsoap View Post
Ok. I wonder why it was okay with the Pepermint EO?! I've never used PS80 before. How do I use it? Can I just add a few drops to my bottle or is it to late?
I believe so! I've only made liquid soap once and haven't tried fragrancing it yet, but I used Irish Lass's instructions and she recommended adding equal amounts of PS80 and the fragrance. Hopefully she or Susie can add more advice for you!

Old 09-13-2017, 01:33 AM   #5
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7640 Times on 4222 Posts
Likes Given: 15902

I don't use PS80, but IrishLass uses equal parts PS80 and EO. As for how, you will need to wait for her, or search for PS80 in the search bar.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:14 AM   #6
Claudsoap

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Susie,

If you don't use PS80 have you ever come across my issue? Or do u use something else?

Old 09-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7640 Times on 4222 Posts
Likes Given: 15902

I occasionally have the issue when I use citrus EOs. I only use EOs in my liquid soap, and almost always citrus (I bought a whole bunch of citrus EOs before I knew that they did not work well in CP bar soap, so I have been using them up for a long, long time.), so this is not a frequent occurrence. I just use up the batch and mark the bottle as "do not use in liquid soap". I do not sell soap, so I do not get stressed if it is not perfectly clear. Occasionally I remember to shake the bottle before using it, most often not, though.