~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Beginners Soap Making Forum > Exercises to learn from

Old 09-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #11
KarenDK

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittish View Post
I'd highly recommend that you look into the book Scientific Soapmaking, by Kevin Dunn. I really think this book is about as close to a soapmaking 'bible' as exists at the current time. It goes into all the chemistry involved in making soap, using language that you don't have to be a chemist to understand. There are even experiments that you can do at home.
Thank you with your advice.
I have considered this book. I canīt find the book in Denmark, so I will have to order it form the UK. Can you tell me a little more about its content?
When I see lectures by Kevin Dunn on youtube, I think a big proportion of the time is used on explaining basic chemestry more than on soapmaking. Will i have the same expirience with the book?

Old 09-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
KarenDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
I would start out with a very soap basic recipe, and then tweak things from there. One of the most basic of soap recipes is known as the 'holy trinity' recipe, containing equal amounts of palm oil, olive oil and coconut oil, although I'd switch out the palm for lard, but that's just me.

After you have made and cured a batch of it, and have used it see how it feels and performs, go ahead and experiment by making several variations of it, changing only one thing in each variation at a time, and then compare them all in the end. That is one of the bests ways to learn the basics and get a feel for how different oils perform in soap.

If you decide to do the above, just make sure to weigh your ingredients out (most especially the lye) on a very sensitive digital scale that can weigh accurately down to at least .001 grams, because the smaller you go with a batch size, the exponentially bigger the potential for problems to occur, even if your lye weight is off by a half of a gram. A digital jeweler's scale works perfectly for such tasks.

IrishLass
Thank you so much for your help
I do not have a juwelers scale, so I will have to make bigger batches. Do you think the same experiment would work, if I start wih a recipe of 100% lard, and then do variations containing reasonble amounts of a single oil (40% for olive oil, 25 % Coconut oil, 10 % castor, 2% beeswax, 15% sunflower oil, 15 % rapeseed oil, 20% shea butter, 15% almond oil). Would I be able to feel the contribution of each oil with these variations?
Would the holy trinity do a better job?

Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 09-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #13
KarenDK

To all of you kind people taking the time to answer me, that I have not replied to direktly. Thank you so much for helping me.

I have looked a lot on Soapqueens webpage as well as soaping 101. Both of these have taught me a lot, and I return to them, as well as other online resources again and again.
In regard to starting with following their recipes, I have the problen though. I have not succeded in finding nonred palm oil anywhere close to me. This means I would have to order it online from Germany or the UK. This makes it an expensive oil to rely on. Therefor I would love to learn soaping without relying on palm oil. Unless I am so lucky someone can tell me where to buy palm oil i Denmark?

Old 09-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #14
Kittish
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 703 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenDK View Post
I have considered this book. I canīt find the book in Denmark, so I will have to order it form the UK. Can you tell me a little more about its content?
When I see lectures by Kevin Dunn on youtube, I think a big proportion of the time is used on explaining basic chemestry more than on soapmaking. Will i have the same expirience with the book?
I haven't yet gotten all the way through the book, but it does go rather beyond just the basic chemistry. Here's a link to a chapter from the book in pdf format, concerning DOS (thank you for the link, earlene!) to maybe give you some idea of the tone of the book: http://cavemanchemistry.com/DreadedOrangeSpot-Dunn.pdf

Old 09-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #15
penelopejane

Liked 1706 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2561

Quote:
It is heavy duty chemistry. Not really necessary for making soap unless you want to know why things react the way they do in an indepth way. I have it and have read it.

You don't need palm oil. Substitute olive, avocado, lard, almond or any other oil that is cheap for you. Use max 5% castor and change the others one at a time so you can feel the difference. Beeswax is difficult to work with for some people because it requires high temps to melt and stay fluid.

Start simple.
People Like This 
Old 09-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #16
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 695 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 2765

Hi Karen,

I just started a thread over in the Beginner's Forum for you and other Newbies to get used to formulating on SoapCalc. That's the one I use, but you can also try Soapee to see if you like that one better. The Title of the thread is "Trinity of Oils - Starter Formula".

HAVE FUN!

Old 09-12-2017, 07:26 AM   #17
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 695 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 2765

Quote:
I have not succeded in finding nonred palm oil anywhere close to me.
Red palm soaps the same as regular palm oil -- it just makes your soaps orange instead of white. You can control the degree of orange by using some lard or even shea butter if you have those available. Oh, and what about soy shortening? Is that available? Oh no, it wouldn't be there -- due to its GMO nature. Ugh. Scratch that idea. LOL

HTH

Old 09-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #18
KarenDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany_in_CO View Post
Red palm soaps the same as regular palm oil -- it just makes your soaps orange instead of white.
It saddens me to read that. Before I read it, I could blame the nastiness of my yellow soapbar on the oil. Now I have to consider, if it could be the soapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany_in_CO View Post
Oh, and what about soy shortening? Is that available? Oh no, it wouldn't be there -- due to its GMO nature.
And you are right. I dont think I have ever heard about it.
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 09-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #19
KarenDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopejane View Post
Start simple.
And that simple statement right there, might be the most difficult exercise of them all.
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 09-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #20
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8042 Times on 3863 Posts
Likes Given: 3768

What makes that even more difficult (but much funnier) is that many soapers either started or went complicated, lots of oils and additives, and then came back to simple.

Amazing soaps can be simple. Don't let any bloggers convince you to add a recipe with 20 expensive oils directly in to your shopping cart.......

People Like This