~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~



Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Food & Spirit Recipes > Slow Cooker Recipes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
earlene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Western Illinois, USA
Posts: 2,272
Liked 2329 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 1772

Default Slow Cooker Recipes

I make soups in my crock pot all the time. I start with a bit of oil on the bottom; add mirepoix (chopped onion, celery & peppers) to sauté for a bit; then add other veggies as desired to soften a bit (cabbage, potatoes, whatever one likes in soup); after they are at the desired consistency, add liquid (water or broth if you use it, even a small bit of coffee for flavor). I add spices as I go along: salt, pepper, thyme, etc. using whatever matches the ingredients or 'to taste'. Sometimes I add dried beans or rice; sometimes I add diced tomatoes or tomato puree depending on the desired soup.

If you eat meat, which I don't, you can add meat to the soup as it is cooking; you can sauté meat at the start if desired before adding the additional vegetables. For a chowder, add a bottle of clam juice as well as some diced potatoes and some frozen corn. If you like a fishy soup, add a bit of water drained from a tuna can if you ever make tuna sandwiches. If anyone in your family is vegetarian you can do what I do and keep meat out of the soup until after it is served in the bowl, then add a bit of meat broth and actual meat to the bowl for the meat eaters. Sometimes I add a dollop of gravy for flavor as well.

For a minestrone or other noodle containing soup, add a small handful of dry noodles toward the end so they don't get too soft.

Keep the crock on high at first and turn it down to low before you leave (if you leave). When you get back home (or about 30-60 minutes before eating, give it a stir and turn it back up to high again. Add additional spices to taste; add some freshly chopped onions or other condiments as desired when serving.


earlene is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,791
Liked 7859 Times on 4327 Posts
Likes Given: 16492

Default

I just made a huge list of freezer crock pot meals I got off YouTube. I am going shopping tomorrow, and prepping at least 10 different meals. My husband and I are working crazy hours, and eating out gets expensive. Not to mention high fat and high calorie.


Susie is offline  
amysoap Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
navigator9
 
navigator9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New England
Posts: 2,651
Liked 2967 Times on 1385 Posts
Likes Given: 256

Default

Here's a minestrone recipe I made recently. I thought it was really good, and added it to my list of favorites.
http://littlespicejar.com/homemade-m...p-slow-cooker/
__________________
Encourage acceptance and inclusion, reject prejudice and bigotry.
navigator9 is offline  
shunt2011 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
Misschief
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kelowna, BC, Canada
Posts: 752
Liked 617 Times on 286 Posts
Likes Given: 977

Default

I made some street tacos yesterday. The meat was prepared in the crockpot and it was delicious (with the addition of some salt that isn't in the recipe). The whole meal was make ahead and we both love it.

http://tornadoughalli.com/2017/05/sl...-street-tacos/

My daughter and I found a lot of good slow cooker recipes through Pinterest. It's a good starting point.
__________________
http://sudsnthings.blogspot.ca
Misschief is offline  
Arimara Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:32 AM   #5
BattleGnome
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 875
Liked 703 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 861

Default

I make a ton of 8-hour crockpot recipes - if I don't we tend to eat out. Pinterest is a great resource but you will have to weed through a lot of duplicate recipes.

This is my cooking Pinterest board - hopefully that link works. 90% of my recipes are crockpot related

Some of our go to recipes with ingredients list in the order I add them - most of my seasoning is by sight rather than measurement

Roast beef:
Frozen stew veggies, 2-3lb roast, sprinkle the top of the meat with beef bouillon granules, salt, pepper, garlic, maybe 1-2 cups water. 8ish hours on low

Beef stew:
Same as above except with stew meat. My husband prefers a McCormick sauce packet rather than my mixture, you can optionally add a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce

"General Tso's" chicken: a just barely inspired version of the recipe
3-4 chicken breasts, 1/2c each hoisin sauce/rice wine vinegar/soy sauce, at least 1 clove garlic minced (1-2tsp from the jar of minced stuff), maybe a few dashes or oregano

Korean inspired beef:
Stew meat, 1c brown sugar, 1/2c soy sauce, cornstarch slurry to thicken at the end

Country pork ribs:
Ribs, cover with BBQ sauce

Corn:
Wrap each ear individually in foil with a pat of butter and whatever seasonings your family likes. I usually add the ears on top of whatever meat I'm making. You can add a layer of foil between the two if you think things might beget messy.


A general rule of thumb to keep in mind: a 4 hour recipe on high works as an 8 hour recipe on low. It's very easy to adapt back and forth if you don't mind the structural integrity of the meat (especially chicken)
BattleGnome is offline  
4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:12 AM   #6
Arimara
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png
 
Arimara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,091
Liked 1232 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 4051

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGnome View Post
I make a ton of 8-hour crockpot recipes - if I don't we tend to eat out. Pinterest is a great resource but you will have to weed through a lot of duplicate recipes.

This is my cooking Pinterest board - hopefully that link works. 90% of my recipes are crockpot related

Some of our go to recipes with ingredients list in the order I add them - most of my seasoning is by sight rather than measurement

Roast beef:
Frozen stew veggies, 2-3lb roast, sprinkle the top of the meat with beef bouillon granules, salt, pepper, garlic, maybe 1-2 cups water. 8ish hours on low

Beef stew:
Same as above except with stew meat. My husband prefers a McCormick sauce packet rather than my mixture, you can optionally add a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce

"General Tso's" chicken: a just barely inspired version of the recipe
3-4 chicken breasts, 1/2c each hoisin sauce/rice wine vinegar/soy sauce, at least 1 clove garlic minced (1-2tsp from the jar of minced stuff), maybe a few dashes or oregano

Korean inspired beef:
Stew meat, 1c brown sugar, 1/2c soy sauce, cornstarch slurry to thicken at the end

Country pork ribs:
Ribs, cover with BBQ sauce

Corn:
Wrap each ear individually in foil with a pat of butter and whatever seasonings your family likes. I usually add the ears on top of whatever meat I'm making. You can add a layer of foil between the two if you think things might beget messy.


A general rule of thumb to keep in mind: a 4 hour recipe on high works as an 8 hour recipe on low. It's very easy to adapt back and forth if you don't mind the structural integrity of the meat (especially chicken)
I may be a weirdo, but adding some Worcestershire sauce to a beef stew can make a difference. But, I use it for a lot of things, chicken included. I also use store bought broth before I use water. More flavor.

Edit: I said broth when i meant stock. It good to make your own stock but since many of us dont have that kind of freezer space or time, store bought is good too.

Last edited by Arimara; 09-05-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Arimara is offline  
BattleGnome Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png
 
shunt2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,909
Liked 4586 Times on 3065 Posts
Likes Given: 3858

Default

One of my favorite quick meals is to place chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot. Then combine a jar of salsa and a packed of taco or fajita seasoning together. Pour a package of frozen 3 pepper an onions (or fresh cut up) over the chicken then pour the salsa/seasoning over the top. Cook on low 8 hours.

If I use the frozen peppers/onions I always add another package about a 1/2 or so before serving. I strain the majority of the liquid off and then serve with fajita/taco fixings.
__________________
www.sharishandcraftedsoap.com
Official Member of the Hoity-Toity Snickerdoodle League.
shunt2011 is offline  
Susie Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #8
dixiedragon
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Posts: 4,841
Liked 3678 Times on 2122 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt2011 View Post
One of my favorite quick meals is to place chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot. Then combine a jar of salsa and a packed of taco or fajita seasoning together. Pour a package of frozen 3 pepper an onions (or fresh cut up) over the chicken then pour the salsa/seasoning over the top. Cook on low 8 hours.

If I use the frozen peppers/onions I always add another package about a 1/2 or so before serving. I strain the majority of the liquid off and then serve with fajita/taco fixings.
Every time I cook chicken breasts in the crockpot they are DRY DRY DRY. Is there some secret I am missing?
__________________
~May the blessings of saponification be upon you.~
Lardinator ^(..)^Swap Addict
dixiedragon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #9
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png
 
shunt2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,909
Liked 4586 Times on 3065 Posts
Likes Given: 3858

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
Every time I cook chicken breasts in the crockpot they are DRY DRY DRY. Is there some secret I am missing?

That's about the only chicken I cook in the crockpot. And it can be dry but I always leave a bit of the liquid in the meat. I do shred it which helps.

I agree, except for a whole chicken, it's always dry. My other favorite is putting a turkey breast in the crockpot. I melt a stick of butter, add some herbs and then spread it under the skin (or pour) and then slather the tops with the rest. Always juicy and moist. The key is to not over cook it.
__________________
www.sharishandcraftedsoap.com
Official Member of the Hoity-Toity Snickerdoodle League.
shunt2011 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #10
BattleGnome
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 875
Liked 703 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 861

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
Every time I cook chicken breasts in the crockpot they are DRY DRY DRY. Is there some secret I am missing?
Depending on cooking time the amount of cooking liquid does a lot for keeping things moist. It's just the nature of the cut of meat, most recipes suggest bone in thighs for crockpot cooking.

Science wise, you need a ton of fat for proper low/slow cooking, chicken breasts don't have the amount of fat needed to keep moisture in


BattleGnome is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow Cooker Epicsoap Beginners Soap Making Forum 15 11-09-2017 03:17 AM
Best size slow cooker? BMWRTMike Beginners Soap Making Forum 6 08-12-2014 10:09 PM
HP without a Slow Cooker thinkativeone Lye-Based Soap Forum 21 10-24-2013 08:37 AM
Slow cooker/crock pot? missybee Lye-Based Soap Forum 3 11-26-2010 08:05 PM



Newest Threads