Muscle pain relief cream

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BF has lots of aches and pains. Too many on-the-job injuries. He's been using the otc pain creams and stinks like an old man (no offense Mac :)) I asked him last night if he would try this if I made it and he was all about it! Too bad he mowed at home yesterday and there are no dandelions at the campground. I wonder if people will think I'm nuts if I stop and pick some from along the road lol

BF has lots of aches and pains. Too many on-the-job injuries. He's been using the otc pain creams and stinks like an old man (no offense Mac :)) I asked him last night if he would try this if I made it and he was all about it! Too bad he mowed at home yesterday and there are no dandelions at the campground. I wonder if people will think I'm nuts if I stop and pick some from along the road lol

Personally, I wouldn't pick along a road, whether it's dandelions or brambles or anything edible. I don't like the thought of all those exhaust fumes on and permeating anything I'll be applying or eating.

We have a large yard with an empty grassy field and plenty of dandelions. Right now, though, they've all gone to seed. I have to wait for the next round of flowers, which shouldn't be long.

Oh I was joking when I said it. Not only the exhaust fumes and goodness knows what dump/thrown out of a vehicle, but also any runoff from farm fields. Yeck! I just found the idea of a grown woman pulled over along the highway picking dandelions humorous lol

ETA: I agree it won't be long until the dang things are back in full force. Since he mowed yesterday I would say by tomorrow. At least some good can come from them now lol

Uh, just all over our lawns ... like everywhere! ... wow I didn't even know all this about dandelions Teresa, thanks. I'll have to go outside and pick me some dandelions.

Let them dry for a few days first. Dandelion flowers are very high in water. You don't want to introduce that water into your oil because then it may cause bacteria or mold formation. You can stick them in a warm oven for several hours to help the process along, but keep an eye on them because you don't want them completely dried out. Just pretty wilted.

I'm supposing dandelions are the same thing everywhere though, hopefully not another name for a different flower? Like "squash" in Canada being a butternut pumpkin in Australia. ... Just a thought.

I hope so. Dandelions here in the States are weeds that have yellow flowers. When they turn to seed (petals fall off?) they look like cottony wisps. When the wind blows, it blows the seeds all over the place. We used to call them "wishes" when we were kids. The idea is you made a wish and blew on the dandelion head. If all of the seed heads came off, your wish would come true, if not, it wouldn't. I still blow on dandelion heads. (It's MY yard. I can do what I want.)

BTW: Dandelions are very versatile and the greens are tasty, too.

ETA: I am so glad y'all are finding that info helpful. Please let me know if the salve and/or oil is as helpful for you as it was for me. I REALLY like the stuff. Alas, unlike all of you fine folk, I am too lazy to forage for my own dandelions, so I purchase them from Etsy. The nice thing about that is, they're already slightly dried and ready to infuse. I actually have to check to see if my herbalist/forager/tree-hugger has any available. Thank goodness for lazy people like me. We keep the world working.

Last edited:
He's been using the otc pain creams and stinks like an old man (no offense Mac :)) lol

OK so you sprung me :) I am absolutely fed up with the stench of camphor and the like. I am determined that I will make a "pain cream" that will not tell the whole shopping centre that I am on the way.

My first effort smells of English Lavender and works just as well as my otc which is now heading for the rubbish bin. Admittedly Lavender is not really "me". I might try Musk next. That appeals to me a lot more. :mrgreen:

I made thenerdyfarmwife's dandelion salve tonight. I can now say with authority that infused dandelion oil is among my least favorite smells ever.

Hopefully the litsea EO I added will cover it lol! I was planning on blending lavender with it too but turns out I'm without lavender!

I can't wait until something hurts so I can try it out :)

I made three jars so if it works, I can give one to my grandma and one to my beeswax supplier.

1463536283300.jpg

I made thenerdyfarmwife's dandelion salve tonight. I can now say with authority that infused dandelion oil is among my least favorite smells ever.

Hopefully the litsea EO I added will cover it lol! I was planning on blending lavender with it too but turns out I'm without lavender!

I can't wait until something hurts so I can try it out :)

I made three jars so if it works, I can give one to my grandma and one to my beeswax supplier.
She has a great site with lots of helpful info but when you dig deeper into making say the pumpkin soap it's not pumpkin alone it's colour added as well!

Congratulations on your salve!

It's a pain getting old, literally. Would some kind person please help me with formulating Arnica, Eucalyptus, Emu Oil and Menthol into a pain relieving rub/cream, please. I will need percentages plus sufficants, emulsifiers and preservatives if appropriate as well, please.
I have made and sold a uscle pain relief cream. I had a lenghthy impressive has taken me out of the loop for over 2 years now however. I watched the Blue Emu commercial way back when and investigated the ingredients. Emu oil, MSM, menthol and I added peppermint. It works!!
I have made and sold a uscle pain relief cream. I had a lenghthy impressive has taken me out of the loop for over 2 years now however. I watched the Blue Emu commercial way back when and investigated the ingredients. Emu oil, MSM, menthol and I added peppermint. It works!!
Oh my goodness!! I need to re-read before posting!! It's a MUSCLE cream. And I was out of the loop after a very lengthy ILLNESS. Sorry...hope it now makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackdog, that looks fabulous! I want to try it someday, too.

I had to toss out my dandelion infusion that I was attempting because it grew mold. I thought the dandelions were dry, but I guess they weren't completely dry after all. Too bad.

I will have to try again, but haven't gathered any more dandelions after that happened. Maybe I'll get lucky and my husband will skip a week mowing. Not likely. But if we could get a nice rainstorm a few days before he mows, I might be able to gather some that always pop up after a good rain (before his next day off which is when he mows.)

I'd purposely plant some, but he'd probably just mow them down or rip them out of my garden bed. :)

To make an oil infusion herbs must be really well dried.......
I dry my herbs (I do it for 35 years) in my basement with low humidity. I dry them for two to three weeks, from time to time they must be moved or turn or tossed different way
Bacteria, mold is very dangerous........Safety first

Last edited:
Blackdog, that salve looks fabulous! It is as bright and sunny yellow as the salve I bought last year. I still have some of it left and it is great stuff. Do let us know how your husband likes it. I hope it works for him as well as mine did for me. There is very little smell to the salve I bought, though. I was surprised that the dandelion oil I purchased actually had a bit of an odor. But I do like it because when I smell that, I know relief is on its way. So, maybe you'll have that same kind of reaction once you figure out if it works for you.

(I've been "infusing" dandelion flowers for a year. I guess I'd better get off my butt and strain the oil out of there and make something with it. I've just taken a look at it and there is no mold growth or off odor. Actually, there's no noticeable odor to it at all. I've ignored it all this time because I had some left from last year. Not so anymore...)

I made the salve yesterday after 2 weeks of infusing my oil. I have plantar fasciitis and after a weekend in heels, major house cleaning, and walking at the campground my foot was killing me last night. I put some on before I put my dorsiwedge on, and within 15 minutes the pain had subsided greatly. I didn't limp at all when I got out of bed this morning! I'm in love!! I'm hoping some of my other aches and pains show up soon so I can try it on them too! And I really like the smell of dandelion infused oil. It reminds me of something from long ago, but I can't remember what. It's pleasant though. Must be something to do with my grandma :)

Latest posts

Back