body Butter confusion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

december82

Reaction score
So most of the recipes I've seen have coconut oil and/or coco butter in them.... which confuses me because both are high comedogenic, how is it possible to use them without clogging pores and massive breakouts?!

I agree with Spice. I personally don't use body butter on my face. I mainly use it on my arms and legs which don't break out much anyway. I use a light moisturizer on my face and regular lotion on my back simply because of the breakout factor.

I use body butter on face and I don't break out from it. I don't use coco butter though, just shea, coconut and some kind of liquid oil like olive or avocado.
Coconut oil is very YMMV, some people use it with no issues. I can use it straight on my face with no trouble.

Here's a really good article by Susan Barclay (Swiftcraftymonkey) in regards to the subject of comedogenicity. It seems the subject is not without its controversy, even amongst those that conduct tests on such things. There's lots of disagreement in the field based on the testing subjects and methods used - many of the results are based on tests that were conducted on rabbit ears instead of human skin:

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2012/12/comedogenicity-what-heck-does-that-mean.html

The takeaway is that if an oil or butter causes problems for you, stop using it. And if it doesn't cause a problem for you, go ahead and use it.

IrishLass :)

For the most part I was thinking face but it really would apply to acne prone skin anywhere on the body

Coconut oil has a low to medium rating depending on who you talk to. I think it really depends on the person and perhaps on the level of refining.

There are plenty of non/low comedogemic options out there. Try a mix of: sal butter, mango butter, babassu oil, and macadamia nut oil. I'm very acne prone, with combination skin, my 14 year old daughter is very acne prone with dry skin. This oil/butter combo is close to what we use. (I think I throw a few more oils in there, but this is the foundation). I'm not particularly dedicated to the all natural thing for my skin care- so I don't value this combo above store bought because its chemical free. I love it because of how utterly amazing it is on my skin.

So most of the recipes I've seen have coconut oil and/or coco butter in them.... which confuses me because both are high comedogenic, how is it possible to use them without clogging pores and massive breakouts?!

I can't use any coconut oil or butters on my face. I've never had acne but any of these oils near my face will cause breakouts and I mean in trace amounts. However, DH and many of my friends can use them without any problems. It all depends on what the microbes on our skin reacts to. What is comedogenic to one person is perfectly lovely to another.

Back