ok i've come to share

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cypress

Reaction score
first I should probably be lynched for sitting on this until winter was nearly over but I wanted to make sure it worked. I have really bad skin that regularly tries to leave my body one way or another, but I found something to help it stay put even through the miserable weather we had this year, and the secret is .................... tallow. My horrible skin is what has led to a long search for something to help make a improvement in my quality of life, it has led me here as a matter of fact. between this and homemade soap my skin is intact , no lesions, bumps, rashes, patches, holes, or anything else for the first time in too many years. I call it fluffy butter
16 ounces shea butter
16 ounces tallow
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 vitamin e capsules
peppermint and eucalyptus essential oil to cover any beefy smell

melt the shea, tallow, and olive oil together, put in freezer, let cool, while
cool but still liquid add the vitamin e and essential oils, put back in
freezer until about half solid and whip.

all I can say is it works for me and I hope if you try it, it works for you

Cypress,
Do you have either psoriasis or exema? I'm actually playing with putting together something for my psoriasis now. Was thinking shea, coconut, avacado, & karanja. Maybe I'll throw some tallow in there too...

That sounds interesting, Cypress, thanks for sharing. I just have regular dry winter skin, but I don't like that either, plus this sounds good for foot cream, maybe. Will add it my ever-expanding list of must try recipes.

Puddinandpeanuts I don't go to doctors to get a diagnosis so I don't have a label, but that's another story.
Autoimmune problems run very strong in my family and this is more than dry winter skin as it runs all year long.

Not_ally my husband puts it on his heels and it softens them

Thanks for sharing! I'll have to try this out! I've made lotion with lard in it, which was really nice, btw, but I have never even thought to use it (or tallow) in a body butter before now. Cool beans!

IrishLass :)

Originally when I pick up the suet I also bought a bunch of pig fat to render into lard too. I lost it to my hubby for cooking. Lard is now our main cooking and baking oil. He just found out he can deep fry in tallow so I'm worried lol

You're right, Carolyn, just got back from S&F and the tallow was $36. The lard was $29, that was a nice surprise. I wanted to get the big blocks of both, but the idea of humping them up the steps to my 2d floor apt was too much today.

Cypress, if you check out the S&F stuff, I think they might call it shortening instead of tallow. But one is all tallow - think it is described as "beef fat" - w/some BHT added as a preservative, that is the one I use. I did some research on BHT w/r/t to soap and it seemed more or less OK (still a hundred times better than syndets), though would be happy to get input if someone knows more about it.

Last edited:
I've not tried tallow, but I made an emulsified sugar scrub with lard recently and am trying it on my face and hands. The conditioning and protective barrier from the lard lasts surprisingly long.

My hands are in contact with solvents and leather dyes a lot and get nicks, cracks, and bad hangnails often. The lard really is helpful to protect and soften. I like my lotions with veg fats too, but that lard is super nice on the skin. Now you've got me thinking about comparing tallow and lard. Fun!

DeeAnna, you of all people *have* to try tallow, just so that you can tell the rest of us what your results were. Heck, I will send you some for selfish reasons.

Oops, just realized you meant using tallow in B&B. So obvious, sorry. I would still like to hear what you think about the differences in B&B, though.

Last edited:
Oh, I completely agree with you, Not Ally! :) It's more about availability than lack of interest. Last time I checked with Soapers Choice, they weren't selling their 7 lb jugs of tallow -- they only had their 50 lb cubes, and that's overkill for me. My only other option is to buy suet and render it myself, since I don't have a local source of rendered tallow. Lard is much easier to find for sale.

Back