Melt and pour glitch, not sticky or tacky, but dry?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tabitha said:
The only time I have had soap w/ similar qualities is when I over cooked it. If you melt & remelt the same bar/base several time it will get like that or if you zap the heck out of it in the microwave.

How long did you heat?
How much?
For how long?

I did microwave.
I thought I did it just long enough to melt the base.

I'll look at that part again.

Irena, I posted the ingredients above, take a look & see if you can figure out the cause.

Here is what I see as drying ingredients:

Sodium Stearate is a chemical, made by reacting sodium with stearic acid to create the salt, called sodium stearate. Salt on your skin can be drying.

Sodium Laureth Sulfate-(SLS) Products containing these substances can affect those prone to eczema and other irritants. When rinsed off, the product will have cleaned the area but will have taken moisture from the top layers of skin. In people with sensitive skin, the drying property of these type of detergents can cause flare-ups of skin conditions or may worsen existing conditions.

Sodium Myristate is a Myristic Acid Sodium Salt; Tetradecanoic Acid Sodium Salt. This item requires a hazmat fee (or license) and can be iritating or drying when used in products such as soaps.

Triethanolamine (TEA) is both a tertiary amine and a tri-alcohol. Alcohol can be drying to the skin.

Sodium Laurate - I am not familiar with this specific compound. Could it be Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate?
If so then look up under the heading of "Sodium Laureth Sulfate"

Hope that helps.
Irena

Hey, I keep thinking the problem is not that the soap or my skin is sticky or tacky, per se. Maybe excessively dry is the correct term. It's not later after the bath. It's as soon as the soap is rinsed off.
Dry, maybe that's the term.
Thanks.

And no, I don't think I overheated the soap in the microwave, from the looks of today's discussion.

I doubt you will be able to get a refund, they will probably say you should have ordered 2# as a trial first. It won't hurt to ask tough.

You could list it dozens of places a garage sdale item. candlecauldron has a classifieds page to list sales & trades. There are lots of yahoo groups you can list saopy garage sales on too.

Ron, this is mysterious to me. If you would like to send a little sliver to me I would be happy to wash my hands w/i. You have my curiosity up. I would be ahppy to send you a sliver of WSP soap so you can see if you like that any better.

Me too Tab, I have never heard anyone complain about something like this.. could he de allergic to one of those ingredients or just really sensitive to one of them?

Back