Salt Bar_Patience pays off

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:) Back in my quest to make a longer lasting lathering salt bar I basically failed to come up with a long lasting lathering salt bar, keeping in mind I have been making salt bars since I started soaping 8 yrs ago. Well I just took one out to try again, which was made in 10/2014 and it lathers !! The other bubble killer was a small percentage of DS which I often use in my salt mix, but with the added coco butter it was a bubble killer, and felt a bit waxy. This bar no longer feels waxy and bubbles good using a bath pouf or it should bubble decently on a man with more body hair. After I had let them originally age for 6 months I just put them away to forget about them. After a year I ground up most of the batch and added them to a salty confetti bar but kept 4 of them.

I used one recently (in July) that I made in 2009 - wow. What a great soap that was... I usually cure my salt bars the same as my castile and try to wait at least a year, but this one at almost 8 years old is AMAZING.

I used one recently (in July) that I made in 2009 - wow. What a great soap that was... I usually cure my salt bars the same as my castile and try to wait at least a year, but this one at almost 8 years old is AMAZING.
Wow, that has to be a fantastic salt bar :) I have one that is 6yrs old that I take out once in awhile to use. Going to cry when it is gone.

I recently tried one that I made in 2016 but it didn't lather very much. Maybe I should try it again.

I recently tried one that I made in 2016 but it didn't lather very much. Maybe I should try it again.

When in 2016? Try it again (if you have any left) in like July of 2018 - I bet you'll see/feel the difference. Was it made with 100% CO or ?? If not, that might be why it doesn't lather much.

I generally do not like salt bars until they get to about 2 years old. I purchased some from Shunt that were about 18 months old at the time, I tried one and it was ok (I can't touch coconut oil without turning instantly red, so I get a bit itchy with a young salt bar). I didn't use the other one for another 6-8 months and oh-my-god it was amazing! My husband loves them and it's about all I can do to get him to wait 8 weeks for them to cure. I made some a year ago - a beautifully swirled, pink-orange-yellow-white-teal bar that I scented with Sun & Sand - and gave out to friends after about 3 months. They told me they were awesome. Well, I had the end cuts left in my personal stash so I packed them for Chris to use last week on vacation. I'm kind of sad... they were really lovely and creamy, but still made me a bit itchy. I can only imagine what they would have been like in another year. It's always good to have a two year plan? :D

When in 2016? Try it again (if you have any left) in like July of 2018 - I bet you'll see/feel the difference. Was it made with 100% CO or ?? If not, that might be why it doesn't lather much.
Knowing myself lol, it was probably high in CO but not 100% CO.

You don’t have to use 100% CO. I’ve used 100% Oo in a soap bar before and it was great. I always use some % Oo in my salt bars.

I generally do not like salt bars until they get to about 2 years old. I purchased some from Shunt that were about 18 months old at the time, I tried one and it was ok (I can't touch coconut oil without turning instantly red, so I get a bit itchy with a young salt bar). I didn't use the other one for another 6-8 months and oh-my-god it was amazing! My husband loves them and it's about all I can do to get him to wait 8 weeks for them to cure. I made some a year ago - a beautifully swirled, pink-orange-yellow-white-teal bar that I scented with Sun & Sand - and gave out to friends after about 3 months. They told me they were awesome. Well, I had the end cuts left in my personal stash so I packed them for Chris to use last week on vacation. I'm kind of sad... they were really lovely and creamy, but still made me a bit itchy. I can only imagine what they would have been like in another year. It's always good to have a two year plan? :D

I agree they are so much better well aged. I have a couple of the very first ones I made that are just awesome. They are bout 7 years old now. I love my salt bars but they need to be well aged. The longer the better for sure.

You don’t have to use 100% CO. I’ve used 100% Oo in a soap bar before and it was great. I always use some % Oo in my salt bars.
I use 80% CO. I made some with 70% CO and Chris didn't like them as much as the 80%. I don't use more than 20% CO in a regular soap bar either. I had a friend give me a few bars of her 33% CO and I had to let them age quite awhile before I could use them too. I have to wear gloves when handling the raw stuff. Interestingly fractionated coconut oil doesn't bother me at all.

Back