Pine tar/coffee soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gardensmurf

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I have been mostly lurking, since I‘m a bit shy. But now I‘m venturing out with a question I could nowhere find an answer to. I‘d really appreciate your opinions.
My boyfriend has quite severe psoriasis. I would like him to try pine tar soap, since I heard it helped. But he hates the smell of pine tar! Now I have been wondering if coffee would lessen the smell of pine tar, just as it eats up other scents. What do you think? I would use decaffeinated coffee, since the caffeine would probably aggravate the skin condition.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

No, it really would not cover the smell. Pine tar really does mellow out to a decent scent in my opinion with a few months aging. I will assume you make soap? I only ask because pine tar soap is the the easiest to make. Message me if you would like a bar that is at least 2yrs old. It has no fragrance added and does not smell bad at all. No charge

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I do make soap, probably have about 100 batches of CP under my belt. But no pine tar soap yet. I have read about how quickly pine tar soap seizes up and should be prepared.
Thank you so very much for your generous offer! But I live in Switzerland, so shipping would be horrendous.
Maybe I‘ll find a soaper here in my country who has some well aged pine tar soap for sale.

Ok, this is what I‘m intending to do. I would like the soap to be rather conditioning and not very cleansing, hence the low amount on coconut oil. I‘ve also added neem oil, since it‘s supposed to help with psoriasis.
I‘m wondering whether to use more water than the already high 38% to keep the batter from seizing up so fast. Would that help?
The water will be salt water.

#Oil/Fat%
1Castor Oil10.0
2Coconut Oil 10.0
3Neem Tree Oil10.0
4Olive Oil20.0
5Palm Oil25.0
6Pine Tar 15.0
7Shea Butter10.0

Water as percent of oil weight38%
Super Fat/Discount 10%

And then I’ll let it sit and lose its scent over time, until my boyfriend thinks it‘s ok to use.

I know. I figured, if it stinks anyway, it might as well stink...[emoji57]
Or is there any other reason besides the smell not to use the two together?

Iwannasoap has a thread about pine tar soap. In it, DeeAnna posted a link to what I think is a very helpful article on making pine tar soap.

Alright, I made a small 1kg batch. I used the recipe above, but with 40% water.
Two things amazed me:
1. It did not seize up at all. I could even pour the batter into individual molds.
2. So far, the smell of the neem oil does not get through. The pine tar smell is too overpowering. Of course, this can change over time, as the pine tar smell wears off.

I‘m so glad I don‘t soap in my kitchen! My whole basement, where my soap kitchen is located, stinks to high heaven!

Hm, strangely, I didn‘t see Soapaddict‘s and Dixiedragon‘s answers until now, even though I kept refreshing the page.
Garlic peanut butter, yuk! Well, let‘s see how my soap turns out when it‘s cured. Right now, the neem oil cannot be smelled through the thick pine tar scent. But we‘ll see whether it stays this way.
Thanks for the tip about DeAnnas link. I actually searched the forum and read the link yesterday while planning today’s soaping. It‘s very informative.

Latest posts

Back