Help - my soap would not dilute

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liaspace

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve been making soap for awhile but still a novice. I always can’t dilute my soap. I’ve tried many recipes with many different oils. However, my main oils are usually olive and coconut with variants such as castor, grapeseed, etc.

My last 2 batches were total failures. The first batch was using bramble berry calculator:

24 oz olive oil
20 oz coconut oil
6 oz grapeseed oil
11,4 oz KOH
34,1 oz water
This is with 2% superfatting

It took around 4 days in my warm crockpot and on the 4th day I thought I should heat it a bit to fully dilute everything. I’ve been adding distilled water as well to make it dilute but after I heated it up, the soap hardens and the liquid just gone....

This second batch I use the following recipe:

32 oz coconut oil
16 oz olive oil
2 oz castor oil
12,1 KOH
36,3 water

This is 0 supperfatting and still using bramble berry calc.
It’s been 2 days and 2.5L of water and a large chubk is still not dissolved. Please help!

How much water are you using to dilute? Can you post your full method, step by step, from the beginning?

My high olive oil liquid soaps need 2x the soap weight paste to fully dilute. You’ll probably need much less water than I do but more than you’re using now. A good method for diluting is to take one part soap paste to .7 parts water, let the water absorb (wait 24hours) then add more water in small portions (with time to mix together) until all the paste is dissolved. Take lots of notes for the next batch.

fixed!

BattleGnome,

You are correct! I've added some more water (though too much), and everything dissolves! Thank you so much

Latest posts

Back