Table Display

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought I'd ping this thread. Been getting wood displays, crates and such, at https://shop.wtcinc.org

The crates are super sturdy and all hand made in a work training center for developmentally disabled adults so it is for a good cause as well

I antiques my crates for just pennies - I'll share the process if requested.

Looks good.
I'd like to know your antiqueing process please. PM me if you think it's hijacking the thread.

PJ

I'll PM you.....I think it was I who hijacked this thread and I am terribly sorry about that - the OP's set up is really beautiful and I was just putting in my source for display elements since it was already on the table. But if the group feels I should add it here, I will. In the interim, I will PM it to you

Well done! I especially like the way you have signs slid into blocks of wood. Clever. Thanks for the link too. It looks like a worthwhile company to do business with.

I'll PM you.....I think it was I who hijacked this thread and I am terribly sorry about that - the OP's set up is really beautiful and I was just putting in my source for display elements since it was already on the table. But if the group feels I should add it here, I will. In the interim, I will PM it to you

debbism, THANK YOU for 'hijacking' this thread!!! And as the OP - thanks for your kind compliments!
I LOVE the concept of this company and I just purchased this in the large display:
https://shop.wtcinc.org/collections/catalog/products/pop-displays-in-3-sizes
Thank you so much for sharing, and I would love to know how you 'antique' your displays as they are lovely!
Thanks again,
Michaelle

It's been a year and a half since I started doing markets/festivals and my booth display has changed dramatically. So many great people on this forum have given me wonderful advice, and I'm happy to say that I now get lots of compliments and my sales have gone up!
So here's a heart-felt 'Thank You!' to everyone who took the time to offer advice and constructive criticism :grin:
These are some evening pics of my booth at a festival I did a couple of weeks ago in Louisiana. My DH originally questioned why on earth I needed a tiny chandelier as my lighting source instead of regular lights like 'normal' people, but it just felt like a 'must-have' to me!
And please feel free to critique my display!!! Y'all haven't steered me wrong yet, and it's always a work in progress...

I have to say, the arrangement is just beautiful...

Of course I'll share here...

Step 1 - prepare solution - 2 Jars

Jar 1:
Wash a steel wool pad - you can use brillo and wash the soap off or use ultra fine steel wool but also wash it with soap and water to remove oil. Allow to dry overnight - the steel wool will rust a bit ehich is what you want. Drop in a large glass jar (24-32 oz) and fill with white vinegar. Let jar sit for 4-7 days, shaking daily - note, loosen lid after shaking

Jar 2:
Brew very strong black tea - lipton or generic as long as it is black. Cool and fill another jar - you can make this ahead of time or once the vinegar/ebonizer solution is ready

Step 2:
With a sponge, brush nekkid wood with the black tea and let dry.
Then using a second sponge brush, apply a coat of the vinegar/ebonizer solution and let fully dry.

Within 5-15 minutes of applying the ebonizer, the wood will turn bluish grey and the grain of the wood will get good contrast.

Step 3:
Lightly sand wood and apply a coat of golden pecan minwax stain. Chose any color stain but if you go too dark, you'll lose the color contrast of the wood grain.
Let dry and lightly sand with ultra fine steel wool. Let dry and seal - i prefer tung oil but whatever you like is fine.

That's it. I've uploaded a pic of what the finished product looks like. Here is one wine box (pine, I believe) and the other is a pine crate from the company that i get my crates from that you just got a soap riser from.

Each type of wood will give you slightly different results depending on the wood color and natural tanins. I've done it on spalted woods and the effect is really wild.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1499061636.781801.jpg

I should also share my latest find.…..my new cash/box register. Previously I used a table with a drawer but retired that table and rigged an under table basket with a cash tray and it kept crashing to the ground spilling bills everywhere and had me looking very scattered. My friend in another booth had a wood cashbox/ipad holder and she referred me to his etsy shop which is called SquareWoodProducts. I ordered one in torched oak which looks really nice among all the antiqued wood displays. The ipad holder is on a hinge so you can rock the ipad forward so the custome can sign it withoutehaving to hand it to them. I just got it delivered friday and am so excited for my next event on the 15/16th.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1499063388.229679.jpg

Debbism, I just got my display today and I'm absolutely delighted with it! Excellent quality and craftsmanship!! Thank you again for sharing.
After some thought, I've decided to give it a whitewashed/pickled finish as I think that will be a better fit with my overall display. I totally forgot that it comes with the board to insert at the top as 'banner'. I would like to put my company name and logo on this, but I have zero clue as to how to proceed with doing so. Your wood signage is lovely, and I know I'm asking a lot here, but would you mind telling me how you achieved it? I will completely understand if you would rather not share, and I wouldn't blame you in the least!! That's some gorgeous stuff right there. :)

Of course I'll share!!

It's simply a transfer. Take the backing from label paper once you remove all the rest and are left with just the shiny slick back.

Then take your design and print it on the shiny paper - make sure in printer options you select "mirror image" and (for my epson printer) I select ultra glossy paper and select high quality

Once it comes out of the printer, carefully place it on the wood and use another piece of wood or other object to "squeegee" in as few swipes as possible and the lift the paper off - carefully.

Once it dries, apply tung oil finish or any sealer as desired.

But do a few test runs to practice first! It's not hard to do but lining it up and playing with printer settings can yield different results. Home depot sells "wood hobby boards" which work so nicely - I use poplar but different woods suit different folks

Thank you soooo much!!! I'll be playing around with this in the next few weeks, and I'll post my results.
You have been more than kind, and if there's anything I can ever help you with, please let me know!

Back