formulating lotion/dry weather

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The weather here is 90 degrees with 10% humidity thanks to Santa Ana. My skin is crunchy, and my first lotion supplies are in the mail.

I want to keep my first lotion simple, but also want something that's adds moisture despite the dry air.

What do you think of using rbo, Shea or kokum, glycerin, and dl panthenol? And would jojoba
Be useful?

I really like avocado with a little shea or mango butter. My go to recipe has dimethicone and glycerin, its light but very moisturizing lotion. I also like whipped body butter when I'm really dry. I've not used jojoba because of the price but its supposed to be very nice in lotion, use it if you have it.

I love jojoba in lotion. But glycerin is also nice in drier climates. Sadly, I'm in Texas now and I think it's more humid here than in New England :)

Thank you everyone...I'm going to try all of those ideas. I would have used avocado today but

I made lotion today, rbo, mango, jojoba and glycerin. It's thick already and suspect that it's may turn into more of a butter. It turned out well except for a few little lumps which I think we're caused by the btms or cetyl because when I poured the oil into the water something waxy formed on the side of the pitcher as it poured. I nuked the residue and scraped it into the lotion and mixed.

Today's weather is 30% higher in humidity, so I can't tell how well it really works. I do like the feel...not oily, silky or ever so slightly waxy at first but not unpleasant at all. The best part is I washed my hands twice and still did not need to reapply lotion....big plus for me. Do you think it's the jojoba that does that?

Thank you everyone...I'm going to try all of those ideas. I would have used avocado today but

I made lotion today, rbo, mango, jojoba and glycerin. It's thick already and suspect that it's may turn into more of a butter. It turned out well except for a few little lumps which I think we're caused by the btms or cetyl because when I poured the oil into the water something waxy formed on the side of the pitcher as it poured. I nuked the residue and scraped it into the lotion and mixed.

Today's weather is 30% higher in humidity, so I can't tell how well it really works. I do like the feel...not oily, silky or ever so slightly waxy at first but not unpleasant at all. The best part is I washed my hands twice and still did not need to reapply lotion....big plus for me. Do you think it's the jojoba that does that?
Waxy thingy was due the pitcher was cool on the top. Try to keep your beaker warm, and pour water and wax into warm beaker also, so it does not start to set. BMTs make lotion a bit dry. It suppose to be easy to work with. Jojoba should seal the moisture in. Susie have a good advice. Do not dry the face or the body, put your cream, lotion or body butter when the skin is a bit dump. Especially face :) Congrats on your lotion :)

Waxy thingy was due the pitcher was cool on the top. Try to keep your beaker warm, and pour water and wax into warm beaker also, so it does not start to set. BMTs make lotion a bit dry. It suppose to be easy to work with. Jojoba should seal the moisture in. Susie have a good advice. Do not dry the face or the body, put your cream, lotion or body butter when the skin is a bit dump. Especially face :) Congrats on your lotion :)

Thanks Dahila, I'll do that. I love the lotion, but look forward to trying more recipes!

Glycerin makes lotion a bit sticky, I use sodium lactate or Heonyquat :) the last one is just awesome

Hmmm, I haven't made enough lotions to doubt you, but my creamy lotion came out with a powdery, silky feel. Not sticky at all.

Jojoba is expensive, and lovely on the skin, it almost disappears. It's the closest to natural sebum produced by our skin. I second Obsidian's vote for avocado. It's heavier than jojoba, and really nice for extra dry skin. I like to experiment by trying all of my oils and butters straight up on my skin, and I've settled on avocado as my "night cream" for winter. It's fun to be able to formulate your own creams and lotions....enjoy!

I mean glycerin can make lotion sticky when is more than 3% and I use it for hand cream, due it staying power on skin;) I had not mean that it is bad in lotion. I find it ok in lotion:))

Back