Soap melting too quickly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FifthCap

Reaction score
I have a 'go to' recipe that I like, but, imo, it melts too quick.

A 4 -5 oz hot process bar that has been sitting 10+ weeks is gone in 25-30 showers.

That's 4 people using it with a wash cloth.

40% olive oil
31% coconut oil
15% shea
11% cocoa butter
1% bees wax

With the shea, cocoa butter and beeswax, that's very surprising to me! How long are you letting the soap cure? Is the soap sitting in water? Is water from the shower running over the soap?

I have a shower caddy that hangs over the shower head and I feel like setting the soap on the actual soap rack it will continuously stay damp due to dripping water from the head and bottles above.
I keep it on the raised ledge furthest from the water

If it's brand new 1-2 weeks old it'll only lady 3-5 showers (obviously)
But even my 6-10 week I only lasting the 25-30 washes

The SO takes a shower everyday in the morning, I'm a 3-4x a week in the afternoon, and the boys every other night.

Last edited:
With 4 people using it and lasting 30 showers I would consider it lasting well. I use palm in my soaps to make them less soluable and I still consider 30 showers good for 1 person. My hubby and I shower daily and we get 2-3 weeks out of a bar. My bars are a min 5 oz usually aged 2 months, depending on my lye solution percentage before bringing them out to use /sell. I usually soap with a 33 -35% lye solution depending on fragrance/eo's used.

Hm, okay.
Maybe im just cheap - lol
If I had to pay for the bars at retail I don't know what I'd think.

But before I started making soap we used liquid and with all the spill overs I guess it comes out to the same cost as retail... But it's been so long I can't really remember.
I havent used manufactured bar soap in forever, so it's hard to compare.

I have a couple bars that are about a year old. They really hurt to flick and my sister (a single user 5-7x a week shower-er) has one of those bars and is still using it after about a month.
That's not bad, right?

Back