Soapers Choice Soap Base?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinkydancer

Reaction score
So I have to ask. Normally I make my MP soap (which isn't that often) using SFIC bases which I enjoy once in awhile.

But I got hooked into doing wedding favors for my brother for free.:Kitten Love:

I don't keep that much soap base around and I really need to get cracking on these heart favors.:sick:

Soapers Choice is local to me so I was wondering how bad their soap base is. It's cheap and I can pick it up easily so I'm leaning toward this base since they aren't paying. LOL Can you tell I really am not a fan of this whole thing?

Anyway- any opinions on this base are appreciated. The ingredients exactly match the Crafters Choice bases from WSP.

TIA

Last edited:
I would go for the Soapers Choice, most people put wedding favors in a drawer and forget about them, well okay I do that.

Hey, does that mean you're in the Chicago area? :)

Mike Lawson is the soap oils salesguy. A long long time ago he spent over an hour on the phone with me, tutoring me on soapmaking. I feel like if you asked him whether their soap base makes a product that a CP soapmaker will be happy with, he will give you a straight answer.

I made soap favors for my sister's wedding. She told me that around her 7th anniversary a friend mentioned finally using the soap, and how she loved it (???). It was nice to find out how long my soap can last if "properly" shoved in a drawer, since at some relative's houses they kept them in the bathroom where I saw the bars--and smelled them--after they died of DOS.

I use the base, but mine was bought in '06. its good stuff. I really like it. if it was local I'd definitely get it.

Hey, does that mean you're in the Chicago area? :)

Mike Lawson is the soap oils salesguy. A long long time ago he spent over an hour on the phone with me, tutoring me on soapmaking. I feel like if you asked him whether their soap base makes a product that a CP soapmaker will be happy with, he will give you a straight answer.

I made soap favors for my sister's wedding. She told me that around her 7th anniversary a friend mentioned finally using the soap, and how she loved it (???). It was nice to find out how long my soap can last if "properly" shoved in a drawer, since at some relative's houses they kept them in the bathroom where I saw the bars--and smelled them--after they died of DOS.

I am in the Chicago area- the northwest suburbs. :) I never thought to ask Mike.
I wish they wanted CP soap but alas they want pretty molded heart bars- LOL. It's just so cliche. :razz:

Thanks for all the opinions and I will go pick some up today. I really appreciate it!

Soapers Choice base is loaded with detergent. WSP has bases without detergents in it.

Better yet their is also a website that carries Crafters Choice which is sold at WSP known as http://obnaturalcrafts.weebly.com/. I am also an authorized seller for CC and free shipping on orders of $30.00 and over in USA except AK and Hi.

Hmm, if you master-batched and did a set of molds every day or two (with freezing I'm pretty sure you could get them out?) perhaps you could do it with CP anyway. I don't know how tricky your mold is (in fact, I don't even know if M&P is easier to get out of molds, or harder)

I think I'm having trouble navigating the Columbus site: I can't get a description of the base to come up--or a description of anything. However I was looking up babassu oil on Google and it led me to a nice description page on Soaper's Choice. Strange.

Soapers Choice base is loaded with detergent. WSP has bases without detergents in it.

Better yet their is also a website that carries Crafters Choice which is sold at WSP known as http://obnaturalcrafts.weebly.com/. I am also an authorized seller for CC and free shipping on orders of $30.00 and over in USA except AK and Hi.

yeah, I like WSP's detergent free bases, too. But Soaper's Choice base is perfectly wonderful. Detergent doesn't bother me.

I wish they wanted CP Soap rat- but that soap will never come out of those plastic molds. Of course, they wanted clear soap too.

Thanks for the feedback for CC soap. I have used it and it didn't work for me. I usually use SFIC base but it's way too expensive for the amount of soap I have to do.

When I tried the CC SLS free base- I had some trouble with it- it seemed to sweat a ton and the soap didn't seem that hard to me.

While I care about detergents, trust me, these people don't. LOL I have seen Dial soap in their shower.:Kitten Love:

I'm confused. Do you mean you tried WSP bases and didnt like them?

I just tried their detergent free soaps and didn't like them. I sell and use SFIC.

I haven't tried their cheaper bases with detergents. The ingredient list for these are the same as Soapers Choice.

Oh, you were saying CC! Crafters Choice. For some reason I was thinking Soapers Choice.

So, what happened? Did you end up buying the Soaper's Choice? What did you think of it?

So, what happened? Did you end up buying the Soaper's Choice? What did you think of it?
Sorry it took so long to get back on- I have been busy. :)

I did try it and it is the same as Crafters Choice detergent bases according to the ingredients anyway. I actually was pretty impressed with it. It is very gentle but lathers great- easy melt, takes FO well. Unfortunately, I could never sell it because of the ingredients but any leftovers my hubby claimed. LOL
The after feel of the Soapers choice soap was nicer than the SFIC which kind of feels weirdly sticky after using it until you dry off.

SFIC is a maker of SLS free and Propylene Glycol free soap- it is widely used by mp soapers. It is more expensive than the others as well. It's a nice product though. I don't do mp very much so I buy it in smaller quantities but you can buy straight from them if you want loads of soap.

Stinkydancer,

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I also liked the mildness and lather.

I've been trying to decide whether to order more of it or the WSP detergent-free, which I also like.

What was the reason you didn't like the Crafter's Choice detergent free?

Stinkydancer,

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I also liked the mildness and lather.

I've been trying to decide whether to order more of it or the WSP detergent-free, which I also like.

What was the reason you didn't like the Crafter's Choice detergent free?

It seemed too soft and was pretty difficult to unmold. It sweat like crazy even after a couple of days of drying out. The lather (without additives) didn't seem as abundant as the SFIC base. I felt like it took more scent to smell nice. Lastly, it comes down to ingredients- not a fan of Propylene Glycol and my customer base wouldn't like it either. The price difference wasn't great enough for me to want to keep using it anyway. I know that some add additives to it but I just didn't want to deal with it. I also have been using SFIC base for years so I'm used to working with it which could also be the problem with me not liking the WSP sls free base.

For things like I'm doing now for my brother the Soapers Choice base is great though especially when doing 200 favors for free- LOL. It sets up quick and nice. I would run it by a customer (I have those that don't really care) if they wanted another alternative for a large order.

The WSP det. free does work out to be my cheapest option. I know it seems almost everyone uses SFIC, but I can't find it anywhere that is comparably affordable at all to the WSP with free shipping.

Even the Soaper's Choice is a bit more expensive with shipping, but not enough to make a huge difference.

I had no problems with unmolding or sweating with the WSP, but the lather wasn't quite as good as the Soaper's Choice. Also it seemed to take fragrance well for me.

Can you recommend where to get the SFIC?

I wish I could figure out how you can see an ingredients list on the CF/SC site! I've tried it in 3 browsers, too!

I'm glad the SC base is working out for the 200 favors your brother now owes you. :D

I wish I could figure out how you can see an ingredients list on the CF/SC site! I've tried it in 3 browsers, too!

I'm glad the SC base is working out for the 200 favors your brother now owes you. :D

He does owe me. LOL! I love my little brother- her not a huge fan but he loves her. :)

I contacted Mike for the ingredients- they are the same as Crafters Choice with detergent.

I get my SFIC from Peak Candle (I would recommend them highly)- 10 pounds is 27.50 plus shipping- unless I'm placing a Brambleberry order already, then I get it there- but Bramble is way more expensive shipping wise for me.

Peak shipping is always fair. I think they are in Kentucky so not too far from me. I do get a lot of things from WSP though- I like them as a supplier. I get my Shea from there it's awesome and I like most of their FO's and their EO's.

Where are you at Marilyna? Maybe I can help find a supplier close to you.

I live in the Chicago area so I just pick up my Soapers Choice stuff so no shipping unless I'm too lazy then I get shipping- LOL but for me it's not really that expensive since I'm here.

Last edited:
Back