Curing time

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvrags

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to soaping and have been experimenting with different recipes and methods. I'm totally addicted!!! I've done about 8 batches CP,HP and oven processed. Is there really a difference in curing time in the different methods?

Am I correct in thinking that if a soap goes through a gel phase during CP, there shouldn't be a difference??

Thanks!!
Valerie

In my opinion, no. There really isn't. Every soap should have a nice long cure time, regardless of method used because actual curing, is different than drying your soaps or having the water evaporate out of them.

I cure my soaps for a minimum of 6 weeks, and always have, including HP, CPOP or my CP soaps.
They just feel much nicer on my skin after this cure time as opposed to anything earlier.

You WILL get varying answers to this question though, so my suggestion is to try one at 2, 4, 6 & 8 weeks, then decide which results you like better.

Oh and recipe will matter too. High % OO soaps need even longer - not only to cure, but to dry and get to be a hard bar.

I misread the orignal post so I am revising my answer. You still have to cure your soap and its the same time for either method.

Last edited:
Same answer from me...I've always thought of soap being somewhat like wine or cheese that the longer the cure the better. ;-) no matter how it's made.

Thank you!! That's what I felt too..... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't off base!!

Yes the wait is killing me!!! And I have been making lots of soap- hubby keeps asking me what I'm going to do with all of it!!

Makes lovely gifts, good to give to women's shelters and when there are disasters. And if you haven't, check out the sticky about "Clean the World." We can always find a home for it.

Hubby is feeling better about mine, now. I've done well at a craft show, had repeat customers from that, had repeat customers from some I sold at work, and now have a wholesale account. I'm not getting rich by any means, but my goal has been to "support my habit." I think I'm about to that point. :))

I would ultimately like to start selling at markets as well..... Just a little here and there. I have given away lots of soap already for teacher gifts and mothers day gifts. I need to start looking into the regulations for labeling and selling soap in Texas. I don't know if I need any special permits.

Back