lining wooden molds - part 1

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1380409282.836604.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1380409298.384337.jpg

Hi, I have just made this lining out of a plastic placemat and coasters, what do you think? Will it work well? Has anyone done anything similar? I saw this woman in you tube, Nancy, I am sure you know her and she uses corrugated plastic so I thought this might work. It cost me one pound. I really haven't got the patience to line with paper every time. I also tried the plastic table cloth by the meter and it's ok but it didn't give me the straight lines I was after.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Not sure what you call in it the US, but here in Oz it's baking paper. That's what I have used since I started soaping and it works well, no creases.

Do got my mold in today and am getting it ready ahead of time by lining it, i wanted to make a couple so that i have a few ready at all times.

I was folding the ends where the mold ends and i just wasnt able to get a neat fold or figure out completely how it was done.
I feel like im doing origami, lol What type of fold is this?

Lol i just punched a hole with my finger in the paper, darn.ImageUploadedBySoap Making1390308300.096816.jpg

SoapmakingTommy what are you using? It looks like waxed paper. If it is you will have trouble removing it. Freezer Paper works best or as others have stated baking paper or Parchment paper though I've never used that.

SoapmakingTommy what are you using? It looks like waxed paper. If it is you will have trouble removing it. Freezer Paper works best or as others have stated baking paper or Parchment paper though I've never used that.
Yes it is wax paper, I will go to the store and make sure to buy some freezer paper or something else if i dont already have it.

I just rolled out another piece and make the creases in the paper but cant get the end, are there any exact dimensions or names for the type of folds that are done to the ends that i can follow?

Ok guy so I figured it out and I want to share it with you guys if your still having trouble or just starting.

I basically stuck the wooden sides of the mold vertically inside on top of my paper.
this good way to make a nice tight seem in the first few folds just figured that one out.
Then you just fold the paper upwards to make a wall and fold the two flaps to the back and that will give a nice square soft mold without edges.

Hope these pictures and my description help.ImageUploadedBySoap Making1390315623.728517.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1390315636.993898.jpg

Hi Tommy. When I started I absolutely hated lining my molds because I couldn't figure it out to save my life! I tried everything, Mylar, crafting foam, taping pieces of the freezer paper in the mold, so on and so forth. But, I stumbled upon this video and now I actually ENJOY lining my molds. Hope it helps you! [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6k0Hyu_FYw[/ame]

I use "plastic-coated" paper, which I bought mainly because it was cheap for a huge roll. I dont know if anyone mentioned it, but I find that it works very well.

I use freezer paper, generally find it at WalMart, only one grocery store, and it says it is plastic coated.

Link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reynolds-Plastic-Coated-Freezer-Paper-150-sf/11027102

Also found another link on lining molds. I've yet to fully comprehend it, as I do it another way that I have just gotten too used to. Old dog, new trick, not so fast on the uptake. It looks effective, if I can sit down long enough to do those corners.

Link: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFvJzTk86IY[/ame]

After I saw this video, I had my soap mold made 12"x3"x3" so I would only need to cut a 9" strip of 18" wide freezer paper. (I'm cheap & hate to waste anything.) It is the same "envelope flap" concept as the NG video but you're measuring exactly what you need. For my mold, I use a 3" wide quilter's ruler so measure in 3" from each edge. It fits perfectly and no excess paper to trim (throw) away. For things I commonly use as molds, I write the item plus the measurements on the inside of the freezer paper box, such as
Pringles = # x #
Rubbermaid = # x #
[ame]http://youtu.be/K_UhMAY0w2M[/ame]

I use baking paper and I think the results are great. Just don't let your soap sit on it for ages.

Hi! How long do you let your soap sit on baking paper before unmolding? after pouring, I keep mine in a our linen cupboard (its supposed to be left for 24 hrs before unmolding right? ) I do that and my baking paper is wrinkly 24 hrs later and so is my soap..has wrinkles on the sides and bottom :( also..parchment paper sticks to soap :/

There is no freezer paper in NZ :(

I'm thinking oven bags would work really well for this too. Although I've never used an oven bag myself, I've seen it advertised as a no-mess way to over-cook a turkey, and if it can withstand a 350F oven for 3 hours, certainly it can handle some saponifying soap, don't you think? And it would be reuseable.

Easy peezy - lots of youtube vids show you how to make your own. This is probably one of the best imho. Pick up some cheap white wood at your local big box home store and go for it. Cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yog0-s9OsDA

As for lining them - HAH! I have struggled with that since day one and continue to do so. (sigh)
have been looking for Hanger bolts! I didnt know their names. Now I can look for these bolts by name. Thanks for the video.:p

I've just lined my mould with an old X-ray film - any reason this won't work? Will test this out later today and report back.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1409096777.721431.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back