Help! My soap dissolves quickly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauboon

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what I can do to make my soap
last longer. They seem to dissolve quickly. I don't leave them sitting
in water in the soap dish. I cure them for one month or more but they
still dissolve quickly. I use coconut, palm olive almond castor etc... I
have used other cold pressed soaps and they have lasted longer than mine.

Too much superfat or lye discount will result in soft soap. Since you're already using a lot of hard oils I'm guessing it's this or the soap dish.

care to share the recipe including amounts of water & lye?

there are ways to harden up a soap or make it longer lasting. one is to cure longer or use less water to begin with (or both). you can add a touch of beeswax, avoid softer oils (or lower the amounts of them), or don't let hairy men use them directly on their bodies (I swear, a hairy body is like a grater).

gross!

I think my soap dissolves quickly too, but I know that's in comparison to store soap (like Dove) so I try not to let it bother me... Mine lasts at least 2-3 weeks with two people using it so I figure that's okay.

carebear said:
(I swear, a hairy body is like a grater).

DH and I have fought over this, and ended up doing an experiment... same (commercial) bar of soap, one each... what a surprise, mine lasted waaaaay longer. he says I don't wash properly. lol

Could it be the amount of your Castor oil? It tends to make a softer bar esp when used over about 6% .

Latest posts

Back