How do you take notes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToniD

Reaction score
I know, that is a dumb question :lol: But I mean, can you give me some ideas how you organize your notes into usable fashion?

I keep a notebook that has my recipes in it and opposite each recipe is a page where I write the date/additives/ etc for each batch of that recipe and also thoughts or problems.

But certain things would apply to more than one recipe and I have not figured out how to keep track of things that would apply across the board.

Sorry, I don't feel like I am being very clear, but hopefully you can share some ideas on how you all take notes and I can figure it out.:? :?

Thanks.

Try using a three ring binder with dividers. If you have notes that apply to more than one topic you can make a duplicate and have it in more then one section. It's easy to add pages and you can also remove a page and move it to a different section if need be.

I could probably do something better than I do... but I print out the full recipe for each batch and staple it into a spiral notebook. I leave a couple of blank pages so I can take as many notes as needed. I always write the date and for new or adjusted recipes I always write what it is I'm trying to accomplish or why I'm adding "X" or why I'm changing percentages etc.

I also note the process (HP, CP, CPOP, Gel, No-Gel).
When the recipe is in the mold I immediately write down a few quick notes on how things went and especially anything unexpected (fast trace, other problems, last minute changes etc).

Finally I check back and make notes on how the soap looks and smells as it cures (Color changes, scent strength, any sort of morphing etc).

When I need to review notes I do have to flip through to find the correct batch but I never really have problems with that. I do like the 3 ring binder idea. My spiral notebooks are 3 hole punched so perhaps I'll consider converting.

I print out my recipe from SoapCalc and write notes all over it. Probably not the best method, but it works. Right now they are in a stack on a shelf, but I'm going to put them in sheet protectors in a binder.

I am a smidge neurotic lol, but I save soap calcs web page in my Soap Batch file in a subfile that might be called '05 08 10 cucumber melon rtcp'. I also print the page from soapcalc. When weighing it all out, I have a pen there incase I go a gram over on any other change happens where I have to change what is printed, and write them next to the amount I was given/. At the bottom write in the other things I am adding. I will make notes like 'didn't mix well enough with glycerin' or 'one tsp. looks like way too much...we'll see'... you get the idea... Then while it's curing, I type what I jotted down on my computer and save it to its file. When the soap is done I take at least one quick picture with my cell (if nothing else) and add that to the file, along with any last minute notes.

NancyRogers said:
I print out my recipe from SoapCalc and write notes all over it. Probably not the best method, but it works. Right now they are in a stack on a shelf, but I'm going to put them in sheet protectors in a binder.

That's what I do - print out my recipe from SoapCalc or sometimes the-sage and make my notes right on the page. I always note the date I make the soap in the upper right hand corner of the page and keep all my recipes in a 3 ring binder. If I need additional space for notes, I write on the back of the page.

i have a bound journal style book and i write out the recipe at the top and then take notes below and on the following pages.

I, also, print out my soap recipe on Soapcalc and take notes while soaping. After the soap is finished I sit down and put notes in Microsoft word as a Soap Journal. I did one for last year (when I started) and started a new one for this year. I put Batch #, the date, the fragrance/essential oil name and where it's from. Then in the paragraph under it, what I did, anything unusual and at the end how many bars it made. I also go back from time to time and add notations as to how I like that particular soap and how it turned out. I keep the recipes in a folder and the Journal is on my lap top. I also keep an updated list of fragrance and essential oils. I probably will get a big binder and put them in there.

I'm another one that prints out my recipes from Soapcalc and then writes notes. Sadly, this wasn't working too well, since there isn't much room for multiple uses of any given recipe. However, just this week I started putting them in a 3-ring binder. After each recipe I printed out a page with pictures of my soap (I remember visual things much better) with more notes about how the soap turned out and which design methods I used.

I also print out soapcalc then write my notes all over it. Then it goes in a binder. Each soap batch gets its own dated and annotated printout, even if it is one of my standard recipes. There are different sections of the binder for different processes, etc. There is a reference section there too.

once I have unmoulded the soap it cures (usually in shoe boxes) with a note attached with the date and recipe name so I can refer back to the recipe to add more notes as necessary.

I also started out using spiral notebooks :D

Woodi said:
I print out my recipe from SoapMaker, and keep each sheet in a binder.
That's what I do, also.
I can't make soap without SoapMaker. It's my most important tool.

I print out the recipe which lists all ingredients and quantities. I check them off one by one as I add them to the pot. This makes sure I don't forget anything. If I make a minor variation, like adding a little more or a little less EO then I write it down in a "NOTES" section. This piece of paper is dated and stays on the drying rack with its batch, the date helps me know when it's been sitting long enough to have cured/dried. It also lets me know which fragrance the soap is since I have a very poor sense of smell.

After the soap is packaged and the list is no longer needed, I put it in a notebook. All my batches are the same siz so this helps me remember how much I've made, when I made it and the notes section reminds me what I've tried (and how it worked).

I use a spiral bound notebook. I write the recipe including any and all additives, I keep notes on the appearance and scent and any thing that may have been out of the ordinary. Then after it has cured I will leave myself a little note on that recipe page about how it turned out, (color, scent, lather) and anything I might want to change next time. I also keep notes about things I want to try or things that I've read, charts or formulas that I think will be useful, lists of herbs and other additives and what they can be used for. FO and EO blends that I've come up with, and pretty much anything that has to do with soaping...which is why after reading some of these posts I've decided I probably need a 3 ring binder too, so that I can maybe organize my thoughts a little better. LOL

I'm very neurotic...i have a ringbinder with clear plastic folders.
Section one: msds's...
Section 2: stock and stuff.
section 3: recipe's. One to a clear folder. If its an 'official' one its got the health canada notification forms on the same folder. Notes are handwritten, later retyped and if necessary annotated and retyped...
Section 4: herbalism stuff
Section 5: experience notes
Section 6: thoughts, comments, articles etc.

I really shoudl split them out though.

Latest posts

Back