Are any of you cord cutters?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
Have any of you out there cut the cord? I've been frustrated with cable for a long time. It's always really bothered me that I pay every month for dozens of channels that I never watch. Grrrrrrr! So I've started taking steps toward cutting the cord. I have Amazon Prime, so that gives me lots of movies and TV shows, too. I got Amazon Fire TV, so that I can watch all of what I get from Prime, on my TV. I'm getting an over the air antennae so that I can get local stations. I was disappointed that there were a few channels that I'd miss, like the Discovery channel, NatGeo, and the History channel, but I discovered that the few "must have" shows from those channels are available to buy on Amazon Prime, and I can get them even cheaper by buying the whole season. This is looking better and better! I was thinking of getting Netflix or Hulu, but I'm not sure I'll even need them. I was wondering if any of you out there might have any tips for me that I've overlooked.

I was for a couple years. Then were was a time I thought my mom might come visit me - and she has to have her football - so I had to get cable and then promptly work sent me to NJ for almost 6 months, and I am still stuck in the contract.

But I got by with Hulu, Amazon and other websites.

Just make sure you can get local channels by antenna... We were going to cut the cord, but we're to far away from "civilization", and we wouldn't get a signal.

Just make sure you can get local channels by antenna... We were going to cut the cord, but we're to far away from "civilization", and we wouldn't get a signal.

Hulu takes care of network shows. Local news might be difficult. But most local stations have websites. :)

We have an apple TV coupled to a Smart TV - with that alone certain news stations are free, plus we have a roof antenna. We have Amazon prime, Hulu, Netflix and HBOtoGo (gotta have Game of Thrones) and iTunes if I need to download a series to watch at sea. Its still less than Direct TV, and I really really really dislike watching (or even recording) shows on someone elses schedule.

plus im a bit of a series binge watcher...

Two antenna. One pointed west and one pointed south. Both are long distance set ups. We were told by several that we could not get signal here - before things went digital we had a 20db amp so we could get TV. Now we don't need the amplifier and get good enough signal.

In a lot of places you can get enough signal but you need to know enough to get LARGE antenna's and place them where they can gather signal. Even with digital broadcast signal.

We support OTA television. There will come a time when there is no longer over the air signal if we don't.

I don't watch anything that's not streaming on my Roku, get my news from the web and the radio. Totally happy with Netflix and Amazon Prime, catching up on series I've wanted to watch for years (while I do things like cut tussah silk, baste dog sweaters, fill microwavable neck warmers with feed corn, etc. etc.) Stuck with DirecTV though because my DH has to have his megaselection of shows and sports.

We get basic cable (bundled with phone and internet), and I have started the conversation with DH about cutting the cord. The only thing I really need that I wanted cable for in the first place is local news and PBS. We did, however, get several of those channels that play old TV shows that we truly enjoy. We did try an antenna (too small, apparently) with no luck to even get the local TV station.

If you do cut the cord, please let us know how that went. I am truly thinking it would be much smarter to watch on our own schedule.

Just FYI - a smart TV or Apple TV (or many other intarwebbby things) will let you watch PBS shows

Gee, it's encouraging to know there are so many of you out there. For a while everyone had cable, and now it seems like many are giving it up. If there were a way to only pay for the channels you actually watched, it would be one thing, but when you have to pay for shopping channels you don't watch, channels in languages you don't speak, sports channels you have no interest in, children's programming when you're 65, you start to think there must be a better way. Thanks to all of you for your input, and Susie, I'll definitely let you know how it goes.

We might be oddballs in that we don't have a landline nor cable - Verizon keeps trying to bump up our FIOS into a "package" but we have successfully resisted them so far. We used to have DirectTV, but realized we weren't using it. And I cut the landline at the last presidential election because of all the freaking robo calls!!

Fwiw i use a digital antenna. They're hung (multiple for multiple tvs) in the attic and attached to the cables that are attached to wall outlets strung through the walls. Gives us local channels, pbs, and we buy series or movies we want. I use a cell for internet and a home phone instead of home internet and a landline.

Fwiw i use a digital antenna. They're hung (multiple for multiple tvs) in the attic and attached to the cables that are attached to wall outlets strung through the walls. Gives us local channels, pbs, and we buy series or movies we want. I use a cell for internet and a home phone instead of home internet and a landline.

lionprincess, you are resourceful and amazing! I want you nearby should we ever all have to run for the hills, soaping gear in backpacks :)

For now we have DirectTv, but I absolutely never watch it. It's for our extended family currently living with us... anything that can make them content is sooo worth the money for now. I use Netflix and have Amazon Prime... now Amazon has those standalone subscriptions for HBO and Starz that I'm going to get once we get to cancel the satellite. I keep HBO for the John Oliver show and Game of Thrones but mainly just binge various series on Netflix and BBC stuff on youtube.

Speaking of the BBC - why do you brits get fun shows like QI and all we have are root-dumb reality tv shows?

I am a cord cutter, more from irritation with cable providers' service than price. My only options where I live are AT&T, Time Warner, and Direct TV...the Axis of Evil. I bought an Apple TV when they first came out and still have the first generation on one television. A newer version is on the second.

I get my news online and don't miss local stations. National Geographic, the History Channel, and the Smithsonian Channel are all free through my Apple TV along with a host of other things. Depending on how many shows you watch on those channels, it might be a worthwhile purchase for you. As for my television options: I get a majority of my television through a $8/mo Hulu subscription. I find Netflix to be relatively useless in the off-season, but pay for it when Orange is the New Black and House of Cards are on. If I am willing to be patient, I can watch the previous season of the The Walking Dead on Netflix instead of purchasing it through iTunes. HBO, Showtime, and CBS round out our entertainment buffet. I try to get my movies from Redbox if I am home sick or plowing through them, but am usually too lazy to bother and simply pay the iTunes rental fee for immediate gratification and the convenience of not having to pick up/return or risk late fees.

Despite the premium channel subscriptions, I still spend less than I did on cable providers. I appreciate the ability to add or drop my subscriptions to certain channels based on their season roster or my schedule. I do not have to take time out of my day to re-negotiate the terms of introductory offer when my internet/cable bill suddenly jumps from $80/mo to $255 (AT&T U-verse). Nor am I obligated to a two-year contract regardless of the quality of reception or customer service (Direct TV). I also do not have to wait 1-2 weeks for a technician if I have a problem (Time Warner).

I have had one or two issues over the years with iTunes purchases. In each case, I was able to get a live person on the phone within a reasonable period of time who spoke intelligible English. They fixed my problem immediately...no delay, no checking with a supervisor, no transferring me between representatives, and no scheduling a technician.

If you are an avid sports fan, the math might work out a bit differently for you. As for me...I cannot imagine why I would pay for cable as it currently exists. I cut the cord years ago and have absolutely no regrets :)

ETA: I am not trying to insert a product placement, but have recently been watching "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee." Since I have an iPhone and an Apple TV, I can pull up the episodes on my phone and throw them onto the television with the touch of a button. I find it to be easier than using Chromecast (which I own but have found to be redundant). More importantly, I can use my Apple TV remote to pause/play/rewind/fast forward, rather than the original device (as is the case with Chromecast).

Last edited:
I 'cut the cord' several years ago. I went through some minor withdrawal, and watched DVDs for awhile, then tapered off of those as well. The thing I missed most, and still do, was the background noise. I solved that with audiobooks, and I get them at the library. All the money and time I save goes into soap making. :) It's quite nice having someone tell a story while I'm still productive. You can also "read" some of those great classics that you never made the time to sit down to read through. There are some (History Channel and BBC) that I still miss, but thanks to all of you may check Netflix or Amazon Prime.

We live at the bottom of a small hill, with big trees and an antenna just doesn't work for us. I've known too many people unhappy with Dish. I don't watch a lot of TV, but during the long dark winter months I do watch more. It's a non-issue for us anyway - DH loves sports, so I don't think cable will ever go away here.

We got rid of our cable almost 10 years ago and haven't missed it at all. I caved a few years ago and let the family get Hulu and Netflix (a total monthly cost of less than $20), so we still watch more TV than we should. If you're into sports, you'll probably miss cable (not an issue in our house). I'll tell you what, though...once you cut the cable you will NOT miss all of those commercials you've been watching! LOL

Back