What are you reading?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel kind of silly, but I'm actually reading a series for young adults. Gail Carriger is my new favorite writer, I find her works to be light and easy reads.. With her feet planted firmly in the steampunk genre, her heroines are smart, sassy and develop as the novels progress. Even the side characters are built well, with story lines of their own that leave you more and more vested.
I started with the Parasol Protectorate and am now reading the third book of the Finishing School Series. Book one of the latter felt the most like a young adult storyline, but it's fleshed out quite nicely.

I love to read :) glad there's more book lovers here. I'm currently reading Name All The Animals by Alison Smith. Also re-reading the Tomorrow When The War Began series by John Marsden

I loved these books when I was a teenager. Will defiantly have to go back and have a re-read

Every time I read them it takes me back to high school, summer and reading straight through the night :) there are a few series I read every couple of years. Harry Potter, Songs of Ice and Fire and the Dreamhunter are a few all time favorites

I am guilty of not liking either GoT or Outlander in book forms, and I will tell you why: I don't like reading fiction that makes me work that hard. I read quite a bit of medical information on an ongoing basis. When I read for fun, I read for fun. I LOVE GoT on DVD, though. I am waiting for the new season to come out on DVD. I am going to let Outlander get a couple of seasons along, then start picking up those DVDs

Well thanks for that, because I was thinking about getting the GoT books. I loooove the DVDs, too. Isn't the coming season the one where the TV series is at the point where it overtakes what's already been written? Should be interesting. And I agree about Outlander. It's so popular, I was influenced to buy the Kindle edition of the first book. I got through several chapters and lost interest.

You know whats a good urban fantasy series that no one talks about? Its a little older but the Eric Banyon books and the expanded universe that goes with them by Mercedes Lackey

I used to be a HUGE Mercedes Lackey fan. I actually own a painting done by her husband, Larry Dixon, who does a lot of her cover art. I feel like her books are a bit on the preachy goody-good side, but enjoyable. My favorites by her is the Last Herald Mage trilogy.

She also has a series with a character Diana Tregarde that is urban fantasy. The first one is "Children of the Night".

I used to be a HUGE Mercedes Lackey fan. I actually own a painting done by her husband, Larry Dixon, who does a lot of her cover art. I feel like her books are a bit on the preachy goody-good side, but enjoyable. My favorites by her is the Last Herald Mage trilogy.

She also has a series with a character Diana Tregarde that is urban fantasy. The first one is "Children of the Night".

Fun trivia: that series is actually why she stopped doing conventions for a little while, someone stalked her and actually endangered her and tried to force her to tell them how to find all the people she wrote about in the Diana Tregarde books.

I've read (and own) nearly everything shes written, except a few things published in the last few years, I'm afraid I haven't had much money for books (or anything else) lately ):

(I'm one of the people who learned what being gay is by reading the LHM trilogy in elementary school)

I agree. Love the series, but I have the feeling he will never complete it.

I just started Brooklyn (recommended by daughter) and am nearly finished with The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell (gift from son). Next up is book 2 of the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett.

And if anyone hasn't read Pillars of the Earth by Follett, it might be my all time favorite.

I second the Ken Follett recommendation!

If you have not read Ken Follett you are missing out. Pillars of the Earth is at the top of my list of books I revisit time and time again.

Sere

Just finished 'the moonlit garden'. I enjoyed it a lot despite it being an English translation (sometimes a bit rocky). Just started 'Dismantled' by Jennifer McMahon. I'm already disturbed by the cover...

I have just read two books one called the miniaturist and the other called the ice twins both completely different the former if you are a fan of historical novels the latter if you like a bit of a ghostie thriller highly recommended.

Serene ken Follett lives just down the road from me in a beautiful waterside hunting lodge in wales uk.

Navigator9 I just love that guy that plays jamie in outlander and listening to the beautiful clipped English vowels of Claire Randall - jamie sigh.......... I'm 60 by the way so just a fantasy obvs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just watched volume one of the outlander series. I'm eager to re-read the book. Right after I finish the current in process (all the lasting things by David hopson) and the second game of thrones book.

Latest posts

Back