What are you reading?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, my own novel actually. Finalizing edits before it goes to print, so it's all I've had time to read. So great to see so many book worms on the forum! Helloooooo other George RR Martin and Diana Gabaldon lovers! *hi5!*
As soon as I've got some free time though I'm curling up with HP Mallorie's Dulcie O'Neil series.

MsHarryWinston, what's your novel about? :)

Don't really want to get too into it because I'd hate to be accused of spamming our wonderful forum. So I'll just say that it's the second book in an urban fantasy series that revolves around betrayal, Clan rebellion, murder and sexy times, lol. There are guns, sex, murder, kidnapping, and all kinds of paranormal creatures. So you know, all the good stuff, lol.

Don't really want to get too into it because I'd hate to be accused of spamming our wonderful forum. So I'll just say that it's the second book in an urban fantasy series that revolves around betrayal, Clan rebellion, murder and sexy times, lol. There are guns, sex, murder, kidnapping, and all kinds of paranormal creatures. So you know, all the good stuff, lol.

Nice. :)

The Orphan Trains: Placing out in America (I love sociology and history, fascinating to see how the views of child raising have changed)

This has me interested! I read the novel Orphan Train and was really interested in the history there, so this might be a good non-fiction pick for the year! I try to read a couple non-fiction things every year but was struggling to come up with what to put on the list this year.

Last year I did Shadow Divers (AMAZING - reads like a novel lol!), Dead Wake (who knew Churchill was so shady??) and The Barbary Plague (about the Black Death outbreak in San Fransisco in the early 20C. Fascinating subject but just an "OK" read).

So you have a first book out now I need to read asap????

I think I'm the only fantasy reader I know who doesn't like Outlander. I read first one, and I was just "meh". I didn't find myself at all really caring about Claire for some reason.

I'm currently reading "The Court of Air." It's good and well written, but a bit intense. It's a combination of "1984" and steampunk fantasy. Lots of "man's inhumanity to man".

I think I'm the only fantasy reader I know who doesn't like Outlander. I read first one, and I was just "meh". I didn't find myself at all really caring about Claire for some reason.

I'm currently reading "The Court of Air." It's good and well written, but a bit intense. It's a combination of "1984" and steampunk fantasy. Lots of "man's inhumanity to man".

This is quite possibly because it's genre falls more into historical fiction than fantasy even with the time travel trope in it. As for not connecting with Clare, well you're obviously just crazy, lol. Hehehe just kidding. I know ppl that HATE Game of Thrones, and I'm like whaaaaaaat?

Yep, I agree about "The Girl on the Train" - not one redeeming character in the whole story!! I feel the same about all of Gillian Flynn's (of "Gone Girl" fame) books...entertaining as hell, but I feel like a need a shower afterwards to wash off all the self-centered mundane evil that seems to be the core of every single character!!
I thoroughly enjoy the "Game of Thrones" series, but I swear I have to go back and reread each one before I pick up the next!! Sooo many plot-lines..
I just finished "A Court of Thorns and Roses" by Sarah J. Maas and loved it! I also really like her other series - the first book is "Throne of Glass".
If anyone on here likes historical fiction/murder mysteries, then I highly recommend Barbara Hambly's Benjamin January series. Set in New Orleans before the Civil War, this author skillfully weaves fact with fiction in this series to give a first-person account of being a member of the 'gens de couleur libres' in antebellum New Orleans. If you love New Orleans, this series is a 'must-read'!! The first book is "A Free Man of Color".
I'm just starting the first "Outlander" book based on a friend's recommendation :)

I am guilty of not liking either GoT or Outlander in book forms, and I will tell you why: I don't like reading fiction that makes me work that hard. I read quite a bit of medical information on an ongoing basis. When I read for fun, I read for fun. I LOVE GoT on DVD, though. I am waiting for the new season to come out on DVD. I am going to let Outlander get a couple of seasons along, then start picking up those DVDs.

MsHarryWinston! You must tell us the name of your first book! I love urban fantasy, and am always seeking new authors!

The Shepard's Crown

Probably see if I can get my hands on more Mercy Thompson/ Alpha and Omega books

Possibly reread Magic's Pawn, its been on my mind lately

I want to go back through the Changeling series too, and there's always room for Dare To Go A Hunting and Mark of the Cat

I am not reading GoT again until he finishes. And if he pulls a Robert Jordan and leaves this mortal coil before it is done... I will never forgive him.

I also like the Mercy Thompson and Alpha/Omega books. Waiting for the next entry in either series.

I love anything Tanya Huff has done. She is one of my heroes.

I am also a huge urban fantasy fan, tho I am not a fan of any of the tendency to have lots of bodice ripping going on in most of the newer UF. I blame Laurel K Hamilton. I loved her Anita Blake series until sex scenes became so frequent I felt like I was reading a **** script.

The Orphan Trains: Placing out in America (I love sociology and history, fascinating to see how the views of child raising have changed)

The Ghosts of Fredericksburg (love "true" ghosts stories)

the original Nancy Drew series- whichever one my little one has picked out this week.

You may enjoy "America's Forgotten Pandemic" by Alfred Crosby. It's about the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic. He estimates that as many as 100 million people died worldwide, but because WWI was going on, there was newspaper censorship in most of the world, so there are very few direct records. Plus influenza deaths weren't required to be reported at that time. They are now b/c of this. In the US, estimated lifetimes on actuary tables dropped by 30 years.

Dixie,

You are not the only one. I have tried to get into The Outlander books but I just cant.

Sere

I am not reading GoT again until he finishes. And if he pulls a Robert Jordan and leaves this mortal coil before it is done... I will never forgive him.

I also like the Mercy Thompson and Alpha/Omega books. Waiting for the next entry in either series.

I love anything Tanya Huff has done. She is one of my heroes.

I am also a huge urban fantasy fan, tho I am not a fan of any of the tendency to have lots of bodice ripping going on in most of the newer UF. I blame Laurel K Hamilton. I loved her Anita Blake series until sex scenes became so frequent I felt like I was reading a **** script.

Anita Blake - I love the first 10 or so. After that - puke. I'm a big fan of urban fantasy, but I do think the genre is becoming a bit flooded with stuff from writers who - IMO - don't actually "get" the genre. They feel very formulaic - tough girl (she should wear leather pants and have a coffee addiction) - supernatural boy of some flavor. Pick a critter and then tack on something weird so it's not 'just another vampire/werewolf' etc. Fight crime.

Like one series I tried to read, the main character was half vampire and half siren. How does THAT work?

BTW, I haven't seen Kim Harrison mentioned yet. She's GREAT.
Also, Emma Bull, "War for the Oaks". It was first published in 1987, so before Urban Fantasy really got going. If she had written it later on, I think she would have gotten a multi-book series. It's very good!

Yep, I agree about "The Girl on the Train" - not one redeeming character in the whole story!! I feel the same about all of Gillian Flynn's (of "Gone Girl" fame) books...entertaining as hell, but I feel like a need a shower afterwards to wash off all the self-centered mundane evil that seems to be the core of every single character!!

Oh, now I loved hating the two monsters in Gone Girl. They are absolutely despicable but I got a horrible thrill from watching them destroy each other. I wasn't expecting to like that book but ended up not being able to put it down.

Here are a list of the authors I like (I may edit to add later, as my memory is not great.)
Anne McCaffrey - PERN is somewhere I re-visit over and over.
Robert A. Heinlein - Everything except Stranger in a Strange Land. (what was he thinking??)
Laurell K. Hamilton - Yeah, I know. The first books were awesome, but she ventured off into ... well, I lack polite terms for it.
Kim Harrison - Awesome author! I hate that the new series did not take off, but I think she lost her whole urban fantasy audience. Including me.
Charlaine Harris - I love everything she has ever written. I think she ended the Sookie series right on time, and I am happily reading the Midnight Crossing series. Good transition there.
Kevin Hearne - Great author, great pacing, good character development, enough of everything and not too much of anything. I think he is going to be one of the leading names of urban fantasy.
Jim Butcher- Harry Dresden series. I need not say more.
Tanya Huff - She could probably write a phone book and make it interesting. You just never know what she's going to do next.
Faith Hunter - Jane Yellowrock series just rocks!
Ilona Andrews- I have read their Kate Daniels series since the second book, then I went back and picked up everything else.
Devon Monk - Great series, but it really is time to close this story arc and start something new.
Patricia Briggs -The whole Mercy Thompson series is awesome. But, like above, it is just time to close this story arc and start something new.

I am probably forgetting many people, but this is what I can think of now. I have read many other urban fantasy authors, but I agree that they are getting very "formula". I, too, avoid bodice rippers whenever possible.

Last edited:
Back