Orange Sherbet

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie
Reaction score
Just made this:

orangesherbet1-1701.jpg

So, there I am, puttering along, adding oils, going up the list... and I realize I just dumped my stearic acid in with my other oils. Great. Prepare for acceleration, I guess. Mixed in color and scent before I added the lye then didn't even have time to change gloves. The first mold went in pretty easy, and the first little one. After that I was having to stuff the soap into them, and it took a fair bit of squishing to get the last bits in the square mold to stick together. By that time it was almost solid.

This is my orange peel wax trial. Used 5% orange peel wax, treated as lanolin for the lye calculation. The stearic was so I'd end up with a reasonably firm bar without having to wait a week. I meant to measure and melt it separately.

The molds are ice cream scoops in two sizes. I think the little ones will look adorable piled in a cute bowl.

orangesherbet2-1702.jpg

For some reason the colors looks really washed out in this pic. The orange is very bright, not the pastel shade it appears to be. The original pic is pretty accurate with the orange color. I only used one color, so I think what happened was the stearic glommed on to a lot of the pigment. These would look super cute in proper ice cream colors, though. The detail from the mold will also be better if I'm not trying to stuff rapidly solidifying soap into them.

Last edited:
Interesting, what's the thing with the orange wax?

Stearic and CP are suuuper difficult to work with. For a harder bar, a 1 tsp of dissolved salt ppo is much easier to work with. :) I'm curious to see the unmolding!!

I have stearic, so I might as well use it from time to time. After all, there's only so much shaving soap I can make before I get buried in it. Added unmolded pic to the original post.

toxikon- I originally planned to weigh and melt the stearic separately, then add to the batter at emulsion to help counter the instant saponification it does. Instead, I wound up soaping warmer than I'd intended to and at least had the foresight to mix everything else into my oils before adding the lye when I realized what I'd done.

Latest posts

Back