Glow in the Dark Mica?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've seen glow in the dark mica for sale. I'm guessing such mica was used to make what looks like M&P (below). I wonder if anyone has ever tried CP with a light reactive mica? I've got a question into a supplier for it... but know I'll get the straight truth from y'all.

I was thinking of one day trying to make translucent CP with glow in the dark mica (figure translucent would let light shine through to better 'charge' it). Or maybe a groovy mica swirl...

nuclear-soaps.jpg

First, I would think that wouldn't be skin safe..glow in the dark pigments/particles contain phosphorous, and possibly photochromic powders..

They are mainly used in resins and plastics or other crafts that aren't directly applied on skin, like soap would be.

That image is most likely resin and not MP...unless you got that image from a soap site? If so, can you give a linky?

I received an e-mail from BB re Radiant Plum Mica - "Radiant Plum - This powdered oil based color is approved for soaps and lotions. Unlike some neon colors on the marketplace, it is FDA approved for skincare and soap products. As a fun little twist, it does glow under a black neon light. This colorant is not approved for eye make up or lip products.' INCI: Bis(Glycidoxyphenyl)propane / Bisaminomethylnorbornane copolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Violet 2 Ext, Red 28".

Thanks for the links..

About the first glow in the dark item Snappy posted..I checked the ingredients and it includes copper chloride, which can be toxic..I wouldn't use that if I had to but that's just me :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper%28II%29_chloride

Having said that ,there is a difference in 'black light reflective' particles.. they don't absorb into the skin like the glow in the dark particles. {among other things I am a retired tattoo artist..and the 'blacklight' tattoo ink came on the scene just before I stepped away from that area of my life}

I too asked about the ingredients from TKB..waiting to hear back.

I'd love to make some glowing soap for Halloween, but only if it can be proven safe for skin

Last edited:
Thanks for the links..

About the first glow in the dark item Snappy posted..I checked the ingredients and it includes copper chloride, which can be toxic..I wouldn't use that if I had to but that's just me :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper%28II%29_chloride

Having said that ,there is a difference in 'black light reflective' particles.. they don't absorb into the skin like the glow in the dark particles. {among other things I am a retired tattoo artist..and the 'blacklight' tattoo ink came on the scene just before I stepped away from that area of my life}

I too asked about the ingredients from TKB..waiting to hear back.

I'd love to make some glowing soap for Halloween, but only if it can be proven safe for skin

Thanks for the link on copper chloride! I'll definitely read up on that. I did hear back from New York soap; they did say their mica works in CP.

I would love to make glowing soap... but not at the expense of safety.

Cool :) Did they by any chance give you the ingredients listed? I've never done business with them, and due to my background in tattooing, I'm just leery I guess about ingredients that touches skin...better safe than sorry I say :)

I'll post back what I hear from TKB :)

Cool :) Did they by any chance give you the ingredients listed? I've never done business with them, and due to my background in tattooing, I'm just leery I guess about ingredients that touches skin...better safe than sorry I say :)

I'll post back what I hear from TKB :)

I've asked them and will post when I hear back. :)

I've been using TKB's glow in the dark powder for several years. The ingredient is Luminescent Zinc Sulfide and it does have a "copper activator" in it. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfCFR/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=73.2995

I noticed in the Wikipedia article it stated copper chloride emits a blue-green light. The GID powder from TKB emits a yellow glow. I don't know if this helps you.

Yes, copper chloride will emit blue/green light...you can actually see it burns that color too if you toss a bit of it into an open flame. Its used in fireworks as well.

I've been using TKB's glow in the dark powder for several years. The ingredient is Luminescent Zinc Sulfide and it does have a "copper activator" in it. CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21

I noticed in the Wikipedia article it stated copper chloride emits a blue-green light. The GID powder from TKB emits a yellow glow. I don't know if this helps you.

Thanks Hazel, I think I'll include some in my next order to experiment. I still have some M&P base to use up. It could be ready for my ghouls in time for Halloween.

Alrighty, New York Soap Making Supplies got back with me on their mica:

Product Name: Glow Powder
INCI CI Number CAS Percentage
Zinc Sulfide, Copper Doped n/a Proprietary 75%

A quick search turned up that FDA has ruled that it is only safe for limited exposure (e.g. Halloween make-up if not used near eye, nail polish as it is not directly on skin): http://www.fda.gov/OHRMS/DOCKETS/98fr/cf0054.pdf

I think I'll skip this one for soap... It looks like TKB is the safer option!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeepers..I was checking the link Hazel gave, and this paragraph gives me pause:

--------------
(b) Specifications. Luminescent zinc sulfide shall conform to the following specifications and shall be free from impurities other than those named to the extent that such impurities may be avoided by good manufacturing practice:
Zinc sulfide, not less than 99.8 percent.
Copper, 100+/-5 parts per million.
Lead, not more than 20 parts per million.
Arsenic, not more than 3 parts per million.
Mercury, not more than 1 part per million.
Cadmium, not more than 15 parts per million.
(c) Uses and restrictions. The color additive luminescent zinc sulfide may be safely used for coloring externally applied facial makeup preparations and nail polish included under 720.4(c)(7)(ix) and (c)(8)(v) of this chapter, respectively, to the following restrictions:
(1) The amount of luminescent zinc sulfide in facial makeup preparations shall not exceed 10 percent by weight of the final product.
(2) Facial makeup preparations containing luminescent zinc sulfide are intended for use only on limited, infrequent occasions, e.g., Halloween, and not for regular or daily use.
-----------------------

I know at least 3 of those ingredients are deadly...holy cow...

I know people use stuff and have had no issues, and these are in small amounts.. but that scares the bejeebers out of me..I think I'll stick to spooky soaps and they'll just have to not glow :(

I look at it this way - 20 parts per million is .002%, 3 parts per million is .0003% and 1 part per million is .0001%. So, there is the possibility that .0024% of 2 or 3 grams out of 113 g up to 170 g may have these as impurities in the soap. Using the highest amount of 3 grams, means there could be .000072 g in the soap bar. Using the lower amount of soap (113 g), means these impurities (if they are in the mica) would make up 1,569,444 of the content of the soap. I'm sorry but I don't remember how to figure out percentage of that amount. It's true. If you don't use basic math skills, you lose them. Someone please correct me if my calculations are wrong.

You may consider me blasé. I just don't view the possibility the mica may have these impurities as something to be fearful of based upon the miniscule amount in a rinse off product. However, I do understand your concern since I think most of us (I won't say all) became interested in making soap and body products to reduce exposure to some types of chemicals.

I have used the glow powder from TKB for soaps - it makes the soap opaque, but doesn't change the color. It makes fun Halloween soaps!

It looks like all synthetic colors have this regulation regarding the maximum amount of lead, arsenic, mercury, and cadmium allowed in the product.

(b) Specifications. Luminescent zinc sulfide shall conform to the following specifications and shall be free from impurities other than those named to the extent that such impurities may be avoided by good manufacturing practice:
Zinc sulfide, not less than 99.8 percent.
Copper, 100+/-5 parts per million.
Lead, not more than 20 parts per million.
Arsenic, not more than 3 parts per million.
Mercury, not more than 1 part per million.
Cadmium, not more than 15 parts per million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back