Lard or Tallow?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
newbie - I'm considering the 50lb cube of tallow from Soaper's Choice. Can you give me any details on how it's packaged? Is it just a 50lb cube packed in a plastic bag? I'm in Alabama so trying to hold off ordering until the temps are cooler . . . don't want a 50lb bag of liquified tallow showing up on my doorstep!

I've bought tallow from Soaper's Choice, and it comes exactly like you just described.

In regards to using tallow or lard: I've found tallow to make a harder, more cleansing bar than lard. And in comparison to tallow, lard of course makes a somewhat softer, less cleansing bar. In terms of lather, I've found that tallow makes more bubbles, while lard's lather is super creamy and less bubbly. I personally use both in my animal fat formula. I find they make the perfect combo, with each making up for what the other lacks.

IrishLass :)

Last edited:
IrishLass - thanks for confirming how the 50lb tallow cubes are packed. I've ordered their 10lb bag of shea butter so I assume it's the same just on a larger scale.

Also agree with you on lard producing a softer, creamier lather and tallow seems more cleansing with bigger, fluffier bubbles. I love both . . . why has it never occurred to me to combine them? It will be soap nirvana I'm sure!

Irishlass, I will use Tallow over Lard ONLY because Tallow looks more pleasing to the eye on my soap labels. I love them both!

Well Irishlass when you mix lard and tallow, do u use the same percentage of each?
I got both lard and tallow and I had made lard one which is awesome, and tallow one which is presently curing, now it is time for mixing them together:)

If I had to choose one, it would probably be lard. But my "go to" recipe contains both, in nearly equal proportions. I love them both!

Hi IrishLass,
Just a quick question about the smell. which one does it smell more than others?
and do you have to consider using more or stronger fragrance oil or essential oil to cover the smell or not?

Thanks a lot in advance

I've bought tallow from Soaper's Choice, and it comes exactly like you just described.

In regards to using tallow or lard: I've found tallow to make a harder, more cleansing bar than lard. And in comparison to tallow, lard of course makes a somewhat softer, less cleansing bar. In terms of lather, I've found that tallow makes more bubbles, while lard's lather is super creamy and less bubbly. I personally use both in my animal fat formula. I find they make the perfect combo, with each making up for what the other lacks.

Hi IrishLass,
Just a quick question about the smell. which one does it smell more than others?
and do you have to consider using more or stronger fragrance oil or essential oil to cover the smell or not?

Thanks a lot in advance

Hi Ely- I personally have not experienced either one of them leaving a smell behind in my soap no matter what fragrance level I use in my soap, but I know of others on the forum that have different experiences in that regard. Hopefully one of them will chime in soon.

Latest posts

Back