Look what melted instead.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was using my microwave to melt my stearic acid for shaving soap and when I went to check on it a few minutes in, look what I found melting as well! I would never have expected this. There were no chips or any defects in the glass that I could see before. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

There is only stearic in there. It looks kind of like a brain, but it's really only stearic. No Hannibal Lector's here (Sp?).

IMG_9548.jpg

IMG_9546.jpg

oh my gosh! If this glass is supposed to be microwave safe, I would contact the company to let them know of this defect - someone could get seriously injured by this! Glad you're ok and that you spotted it in time!

THAT'S GLASS?! Holy cow! I would contact the manufacturer of the microwave. I just can't see how even a crappy glass item would MELT in a normally functioning microwave.

I know!!! It is an older microwave (i'm not even sure how old- maybe 10 years?) and I did have to replace a fuse recently but none of my food has melted. Thank GOD I looked or I might have had super hot stearic acid and melting glass (it's a pyrex measuring cup) flowing all over. I have no idea if it's the glass or the microwave. I thought I would see if anyone else has even experienced such a thing. I don't know if a chip or scratch on the rim that I didn't catch could do this. It's wild.

Pyrex is made out of borosilicate glass which has a melting point over 2000 degrees. That should never happen in a microwave. I’d call the glass company.

Yeah, you'd think if it was a problem with the microwave, the stearic acid would've also melted - far earlier than the glass, too!

Any time I use the microwave for melting butters or stearic acid, I do it in 1-2 minute bursts. For melting M&P base I use 30 second bursts.

I think I'd contact Pyrex too, send them that picture and ask them what could have happened. maybe you'll get a new free dish.

I would contact Pyrex, that's so not on.
It never happened to me but I found cheaper versions of heatproof bowls do heat quite a bit more than Pyrex. I used one to melt the candle wax and after only few minutes it got reallyyy hot and kind of blackish. I thought maybe you used cheapie instead of Pyrex but reading the replies realised it is the real deal that got melted.

My understanding is glass is a thick liquid and given enough time it flows down. Why glass will be wavey after 80 years or so. Bet it is a defect in the glass assuming microwave has turn table.

No turntable so maybe it is the microwave. I thought borosilicate glass was lab glass and more heat-proof and lye proof than regular pyrex, but I might be wrong. I know pyrex should never be on direct heat because it can shatter, but I've never heard of it melting.

The blackish glass after microwaving is spooky too!

Given where this melting point is and thinking of the laser focus of heat...well, I don't think I'll stand there waiting things to be finished anymore. It probably points directly at my thyroid or heart as the microwave's about eye level.

I know bursts are often recommended but I thought it was more for not overdoing it and burning your oils. I've cooked things for 7-10 minutes before on a plate so I didn't think melting stearic, which takes forever would be a problem to leave in for 4-5 minutes.

I'll contact Pyrex and see what they say.

Last edited:
I vote for defective Pyrex as well. If it was the microwave, your stearic should have melted before the Pyrex.

Whenever I 'nuke' my oils instead of melting in the crockpot, I do 1min bursts then stir and check the temp. I still would have freaked out if I opened the micro and found what you found!

After reading a few cases of exploding Pyrex, both in the microwave and double boiler method (melting wax on all accounts though I believe) I don't use it anymore for things that don't melt quickly.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with steric and had to melt it on the stove with water. It did not cooperate in the microwave at all! Melted out of the container all in the microwave.

Latest posts

Back