Phototoxicity of citrus EO - a concern in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolyntn

Reaction score
Is the phototoxicity of certain citrus essential oils a worrisome concern in CP soaps? I know that soap is a wash off product, however your skin does absorb and retain some of the soap ingredients. I would think that folded citruses have a higher risk since they are concentrated. What do you do in your soaps?
Thanks!
Carolyn

My personal opinion is that it wouldn't be concentrated enough and it would wash off. We have some aromatherapists on here that can give you an educated answer.

I don't think it's big issue since concn. is low and also citrus EOs fade real quick and they are so light in soap I wouldn't be worried

FreeRabbit and SoapyGurl - thank you for your replies.

FreeRabbit I am not sure I understand your response: "I don't think it's big issue since concn. is low" - yet a folded citrus EO is concentrated. "and also citrus EOs fade real quick and they are so light in soap I wouldn't be worried" - are you saying that there is no danger just because the smell fades? Hmm I have never heard of that - but I would really like to learn more - do you have information you could suggest I study?
Thanks,
Carolyn

I haven't had any issues with concentrated citrus...I used 10x orange in several recipes and never found them to be a problem. I know that citruses can be unsafe in products like lip balm and other leave on body products, but for soap, which is on the body and short time and washed off, I don't believe it's an issue. In all of my years of research, I've never read anything to tell me otherwise.
Some companies (BB comes to mind) note substances with phototoxic/sensitive effects, but not in the context of soaping- usually for lip balm or other leave-on products. That's my two cents.

Thank you Mouse and Soapbuddy for setting my mind at ease. I have 15x orange eo from WSP and a 5x lemon eo from NDA and they smell so strong that I was worried. I have never read anything in my research either, but thought I would ask the experts as well! Good grief I was imaging all kinds of horrors that my friends might experience with a lemon/orange soap!! Comes from reading too many disclaimers!!!! In my defense, the sun IS really bright here in Texas.
Carolyn
:D

Carolyn, I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination; only been soaping for two years. I read a lot on it for years before I ever tried it, but I come across things I don't know every day. In my limited experience, citrus EOs aren't a problem in soap. The only time I have felt the need to avoid possible phototoxic effects is when I made some salves a few months back. Salve is a product that is rubbed into the skin and not washed off, thus I was careful to review any EO I considered adding for possible phototoxic effects.
Just my disclaimer...I'm still a newbie

Folded citrus oils are actually safer since the majority of the terpenes are removed during the distillation process (and folded citrus oils actually withstand the soapmaking process).

Latest posts

Back